MS ACCESS obsolete?

gdesreu

Does anyone have any information on Microsofts plans to stop supporting Access? We have been hearing about it for years but our company is currently giving this is a bit more attention. Anyone have an update for 2024 and beyond? - Thanks

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
These rumors have been going on for years (it is one of those ugly urban legends!), but Microsoft has no plans to get rid of Access anytime in the near future.

Just do a few Google searches on "Is Microsoft getting rid of Access", and you will find many threads all saying the same thing - "NO!".

Upvote 0
Does anyone have any information on Microsofts plans to stop supporting Access? We have been hearing about it for years but our company is currently giving this is a bit more attention. Anyone have an update for 2024 and beyond? - Thanks
Microsoft has been transitioning its focus towards cloud-based solutions and the Microsoft 365 ecosystem, which includes cloud-based database solutions like Microsoft Power Apps and Microsoft Dataverse (formerly known as Common Data Service). These cloud-based platforms provide alternatives to traditional desktop database applications like Microsoft Access.

Upvote 0
Microsoft has been transitioning its focus towards cloud-based solutions and the Microsoft 365 ecosystem, which includes cloud-based database solutions like Microsoft Power Apps and Microsoft Dataverse (formerly known as Common Data Service). These cloud-based platforms provide alternatives to traditional desktop database applications like Microsoft Access.
You didn't really address the actual question though. Just because they may turn their primary focus elsewhere does not mean that they have plans to stop supporting Access altogether.
I have never seen any statement from them suggesting as much either. It does not appear that there are any plans to scuttle it anytime soon.

Upvote 0
You didn't really address the actual question though. Just because they may turn their primary focus elsewhere does not mean that they have plans to stop supporting Access altogether.
I have never seen any statement from them suggesting as much either. It does not appear that there are any plans to scuttle it anytime soon.
TBH, I thought post that was just a ChatGPT answer?

So I tried myself and it gave

Microsoft Access is still used in various organizations for database management, especially among smaller businesses or departments within larger enterprises. While it might not be as prevalent as some other database management systems like SQL Server or Oracle, Access still offers advantages, particularly in its ease of use and integration with other Microsoft Office applications. However, for larger-scale or more complex database needs, organizations might opt for more robust solutions. So, while it's not necessarily obsolete, its usage might be more niche compared to other database management systems.

Upvote 0
TBH, I thought post that was just a ChatGPT answer?
That is a distinct possibility!

One last thought. Since Access has been around for so long and is so widely used, I seriously doubt would get rid of it without at least a few years advance warning, so people who are still using it would have time to transition their processes to other programs. Otherwise, I think they would have a revolt on their hands, and that would not be good for business (or their public image)!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back