MS Query and Access Union Query

Neil-D

Newish to MS Access and struggling
I have an MS Access with several tables and I have created a Union query (union_Results) that combines them into 1 stacked query. I have then created a list query (qry_Results) that shows all the stacked results.
When I view it in MS Access it works fine, showing all the results OK.
When I go to MS Excel and try to import the query qry_Results in, it is not shown in the list of queries, tables.
All my other queries are there, just not qry_Results.
If I change the source of qry_Results to any other table/query then it appears.

What am I doing wrong?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Jusr had a thought.
Have you tried a simple select query that has your union query as it's source?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
> The tables are from Global systems
how are you getting those tables

I do something similar but with tableau

I use MS Access to do 8 passthrough queries
each passthrough goes to a different MS SQL Server
each SQL Server has a database structure that is exactly the same
its just that one server is for the north region, one is for the south region and so on ...

so passthrough_1 just does
select 50 columns from tableX where blah blah blah

and passthrough_2 just does

and passthrough_3 just does

I have 8 of those each going to a different sql server
then I create one normal access query named
list_tableX
all it does is
select * from
(
select * from passthrough_1
union all
select * from passthrough_2
union all
select * from passthrough_3
select * from passthrough_8
) as tbl

then I open tableau and select Access as my connection and list_tableX as my datasource
it works perfectly , and fast

Upvote 0
Just tried what I suggested in post #21, and that works?, so a resonable workaround?

Upvote 0
Tables linked to external Sharepoint tables (Globally controlled), then a query for each pulling the data I need, then a Select query standardising the data columns, then a Union query stacking all the data and then a Select query as an exact copy of the Union query - hope this isn't too confusing, can't think of anyway of showing this.

Attachments

• 2024-02-19_08-27-15.png
    2024-02-19_08-27-15.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Upvote 0

I do something similar but with tableau

I use MS Access to do 8 passthrough queries
each passthrough goes to a different MS SQL Server
each SQL Server has a database structure that is exactly the same
its just that one server is for the north region, one is for the south region and so on ...

so passthrough_1 just does

and passthrough_2 just does

and passthrough_3 just does

I have 8 of those each going to a different sql server
then I create one normal access query named
list_tableX
all it does is
select * from
(
select * from passthrough_1
union all
select * from passthrough_2
union all
select * from passthrough_3
select * from passthrough_8
) as tbl

then I open tableau and select Access as my connection and list_tableX as my datasource
it works perfectly , and fast
why would pulling the data in via a Passthrough query and then using a Union query change that MS Query does not list the query? Rather than linking to External data and then using a Union query? All my queries are visible to MS Query except for any that use a Union query anywhere in them.

Upvote 0
I think we have extablished that Union queries to not appear to MS query. Thatnis why I suggested using that as a source for s imple select, and that works on my setup. However I am just using local tables.
However I have just gone in again to check and I never noticed that my union query is actually visible to Excel? I am using 2007.

My union query is qryUnion and the imternediate query is qrySelectUnion, both which are visible as you can see.

Try local tables a test. It only takes a few minutes.
1708351096656.png

Upvote 0
I think we have extablished that Union queries to not appear to MS query. Thatnis why I suggested using that as a source for s imple select, and that works on my setup. However I am just using local tables.
However I have just gone in again to check and I never noticed that my union query is actually visible to Excel? I am using 2007.

My union query is qryUnion and the imternediate query is qrySelectUnion, both which are visible as you can see.

Try local tables a test. It only takes a few minutes.
View attachment 107092
I have tried that as well but cannot get the query to show.
However, I do have a sort of answer to it all. All the queries that MS Query shows in its list are the ones I created in the MS Access when it was stored on my c: drive. As per Corporate policy all files have to be stored via MS Teams in a OneDrive system to allow for backups. Anything I create in the MS Access database, now that it is stored on OneDrive, does not show up in MS Query. Even if I save it back on my c: drive, all items created after it was stored on the OneDrive are not accessible by MS Query. Even if created when it is back on the c: drive. I am certain this is something to do with our Global IT security system encrypting the data and another tool like MS Query cannot see the items now. Nothing I can do to get any answers from Corporate as any questions on IT security will be blocked.
So I cannot fix this except by starting the db from scratch and keeping it on my c: drive to stop encryption, but will then go against IT Policy. Thanks everyone for your suggestions and my guess is that most should have worked if it wasn;t for Corporate.

Upvote 0
Solution
Just a thought for a test. What if you created a 2nd Access Database, then created a linked object in it that links into the "suspected encrypted" database?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back