MsgBox for Date/Year input

hallingh

I want to put an icon in a cell that will cause a message box to pop up. I want the Message box to contain two drop down menus, one containing the twelve months and the other containing the years 2009-2020. The user should be able to select the month and year and then click OK.

This is only the first part of my problem, but I want to iron this out before I continue. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as my knowledge of message boxes is limited. Thanks for the help!

Hank

I changed one of teh header cells to text and typed in "Nov-10" for its value. Then I entered Nov and 2010 into the userform combo boxes and it still didnt populate the cell. Would I need to have all of them in text format for some reason for it to work?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
I'm not using any code to populate the combo boxes. I just have dynamic ranges on a sheet in my workbook and entered the name into the row source property of the combo boxes

Upvote 0
Okay, in your Userform code, add this, changing the sheet name and range as needed
Code:
Private Sub UserForm_Initialize()
Dim lastRow As Long
lastRow = Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
Me.MonthBox.RowSource = Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1:A" & lastRow).Address
Me.YearBox.RowSource = Sheets("Sheet1").Range("B1:B" & lastRow).Address
End Sub

Upvote 0
Uhhhh. Now I'm just confused. The Sheet "UserForm Ranges" is completely empty except for the months and years in columns a and b, respectively. When I put that code in my userform, the combo boexes populated themselves with data from I dont even know where. I have no clue what the issue could be.

Upvote 0
Ah, I see where they are coming from. So it is looking at the correct sheet when it is checking to see how many rows there are. But, when it is populating the combobox, it is going that many rows down on my main sheet instead of in my "UserForm Ranges" Sheet. I'm going to play with the code for a minute to try to figure out why it's happening.

Upvote 0
oops. Should be...

Code:
Private Sub UserForm_Initialize()

Dim lastRow As Long
lastRow = Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
Me.MonthBox.RowSource = Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1:A" & lastRow).Address
Me.YearBox.RowSource = Sheets("Sheet1").Range("B1:B" & lastRow).Address
End Sub
</pre>

Upvote 0
I can't see anything different between the two codes? I copy and pasted and changed the sheet name again but I have the same problem. I can't see anything wrong with the code or how it could possibly be populating the combo boxes with values from the main sheet.

Upvote 0
D'oh. There is a further complication if your range is not in the same sheet as your user form. Not a big deal, I just have to find it. Stand by

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mthrasher16

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back