Multi select List box

Sully38

Board Regular
I have setup a list box and assigned 4 values to it. I have the record source to the field of the table I want the list box to write to. If I select just one value it writes out to the table perfectly but when I set multi-values it does not write out the selected values at all. Is there a special way to set up the list box so I can store all the values selected?

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
A list box is a Selection box... you make ONE Selection and it enters that information into your record.

What you're trying to do probably needs to be done in another way.
Provide examples as to what you're trying to set (multi-values) and what you're trying to save it to and maybe someone can help you out.

Upvote 0
Multi selection

I have taken over a database that allows the data entry people to type in reasons for failing a test. There are 4 factors for the failing and any of the four or combo of the four can cause the failing. Meaning reason # 1 & 4 could be the reason for failing or just reason # 1. I am just trying to a flat table so that I can break down the results into a report later that will show all the failures and the reason for failing.

Upvote 0
I suggest using Excel.
Enter the Student Names and identify 4 columns for the failing factors... allow yes/no answers here.
Run a pivot table on the results.

As for Access, you cannot accomplish what you are trying to do simply by using a list box. You could create check boxes, allowing the user to select the failure reasons and then, using code, append all reasons for failure into one field, but I wouldn't recommend appending like that. Suppose someone comes to you and asks to break the reasons down further?

If all you want is a "flat file" .... in Access (yech!) then I suggest you use the check boxes (yes/no) to identify the factors for failing.

Upvote 0
RE: More List box craziness

Unfortunately this DB has a bad design and I need to band aid what is there now while I design a better mouse trap. Currently the option is there for the user to check off the option for failure or type in the reason; whch I am sure you already guessed is a total mess. So it looks like my only option is kill the typing section and go with option button method until the re-design can take effect.

BTW I agree with Yeccch on the flat file but that is it's present state.

Upvote 0
as a short term solution couldn't you add in all the possible combinations of a,b,c, & d into a table with the descriptions and use this as the source for your listbox? Unless my math is wrong there's only 16 combinations when repeats are eliminated.

hth,
Giacomo

Upvote 0
giacomo suggestion is a good one. But if you don't want your users to have to find which of the 16 choices is correct, try this: Create a hidden text field, bind it to the field in the record, then unbind the list box, leave it as a multiselect list box, then in the AfterUpdate event, put all items selected into a single string, then make the hidden field equal to the string you just made.
HTH,

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back