Multiple Account API Calls

darklord5113

I am running into trouble with a basic authorization API call:

I have multiple accounts through the data source. When I run the below code, it will prompt me once for a singular login/password, but not again for the subsequent procedures. And while the initial API call works , it then assumes each call after is for the same account and not recognizing the other credentials for the other procedures.

Attached is the code for one account, that I then have for each account with different variables/file names:

VBA Code:
Dim Request As Object
Dim url As String
Dim Username As String
Dim Password As String
Dim oStream As Object
Const Str_file As String = "filepath/filename.csv"
Dim startdate As Variant
Dim EndDate As Variant

startdate = Format(Range("F3").Value, "mm/dd/yyyy")
EndDate = Format(Range("F5").Value, "mm/dd/yyyy")

Username = "username"
Password = "password"
Set Request = CreateObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")

url = "url.here"

Request.Open "GET", url, False
    Request.SetRequestHeader "Authorization", "Basic" & ("Username" & ":" & "Password")
    Request.Send
    Debug.Print Request.Status

Set oStream = CreateObject("ADODB.Stream")
    oStream.Open
    oStream.Type = 1
    oStream.Write Request.responseBody
    oStream.Savetofile Str_file, 2
    oStream.Close

Two questions:
1- How do I get the other procedures to utilize their unique credentials, or do I have to run these all separately?
2- Ideally, what can I write in here to automatically input the specific credentials into the prompt once I have it running correctly for each account.

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
VBA Code:
    Request.SetRequestHeader "Authorization", "Basic" & ("Username" & ":" & "Password")
You aren't specifying the username and password correctly because the above line is using the literal strings "Username" and "Password" instead of the variables. And there should be a space after "Basic". Try this instead:
VBA Code:
    Request.setRequestHeader "Authorization", "Basic " & Username & ":" & Password
Also are you certain that the username and password should be specified as plain text? Some APIs require them to be encoded as Base64.

Upvote 0
You aren't specifying the username and password correctly because the above line is using the literal strings "Username" and "Password" instead of the variables. And there should be a space after "Basic". Try this instead:
VBA Code:
    Request.setRequestHeader "Authorization", "Basic " & Username & ":" & Password
Also are you certain that the username and password should be specified as plain text? Some APIs require them to be encoded as Base64.

First off, thank you for the help, so greatly appreciated.

The code now works with no prompt, but again, whichever procedure of the accounts is run first, even encoded as base64, it won't run the additional accounts as their own. Is there a difference in the code I should be specifying other than different usernames/filenames for the end result? Or is this just a problem with my data source?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lulu840

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back