Multiple cells but I want them all linked to one main cell so they update automatically.

Luurts

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi There Excel crew,

At my company we use an excel spreadsheet to plan our training and one thing we do is evening courses 1 day a week for multiple weeks. What I would like to know is how can I have the first class (cell) as a master cell that once the note in this cell is updated it will automatically update all of the other cells notes to match. For example I have student A1 attending a 4 week course and I want to write their details in the note for the master cell (first class) and I want the subsequent 3 classes to update automatically. Is this possible? Thank you for your help in advance I hope my explanation is clear.

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
It would be easier to help if you could use the XL2BB add-in (icon in the menu) to attach a screenshot (not a picture) of your sheet. Alternately, you could upload a copy of your file to a free site such as www.box.com or www.dropbox.com. Once you do that, mark it for 'Sharing' and you will be given a link to the file that you can post here. Explain in detail what you want to do referring to specific cells, rows, columns and sheets using a few examples from your data (de-sensitized if necessary).

Upvote 0
It would be easier to help if you could use the XL2BB add-in (icon in the menu) to attach a screenshot (not a picture) of your sheet. Alternately, you could upload a copy of your file to a free site such as www.box.com or www.dropbox.com. Once you do that, mark it for 'Sharing' and you will be given a link to the file that you can post here. Explain in detail what you want to do referring to specific cells, rows, columns and sheets using a few examples from your data (de-sensitized if necessary).
Thank you but its not my data to share online. As simply as possible I have 4 cells. I want to write a note on cell 1 and I want cells 2 3 and 4 to automatically update and be exactly the same. I dont know how much simpler you need it than that but thats as simple as I can make it.

Upvote 0
I dont know how much simpler you need it than that but thats as simple as I can make it.
Please note that it may be simple to you because you can see how your data is organized. I have no idea which 4 four cells you are referring to, what their address is or on which sheet they are located. Also, I did mention that you could de-sensitize your data.

Upvote 0
I really hope you can help me after all this because if not what a complete waste of time this will have been. Lets see how this goes.

I open a blank (brand new) excel document. I want to add a note and any other info to cell 1A, I would then like cells 1B, 1C and 1D to be automatically updated to be identical to cell 1A in everyway. We are talking basic input, no formulas, just text. Can you do it?

Upvote 0
Welcome to the MrExcel board!

Having been answering questions on the forum for a long time, I'm afraid that I am leaning towards @mumps line that it may be clear to you but not necessarily to others. Often, terminology is the issue so can we clarify that please? In the Excel image below, cell A1 contains the text "abc" and has a Note attached that contains the text "def"

1693469911420.png

Would you be wanting just the cell contents "abc" to populate in the other cells like this?
1693470078329.png

Or just the cell notes "def" to populate in the other cells like this?
1693470210478.png

Or both contents and notes like this
1693470261116.png

Or something else?

Upvote 0
Welcome to the MrExcel board!

Having been answering questions on the forum for a long time, I'm afraid that I am leaning towards @mumps line that it may be clear to you but not necessarily to others. Often, terminology is the issue so can we clarify that please? In the Excel image below, cell A1 contains the text "abc" and has a Note attached that contains the text "def"

View attachment 98041

Would you be wanting just the cell contents "abc" to populate in the other cells like this?
View attachment 98042

Or just the cell notes "def" to populate in the other cells like this?
View attachment 98043

Or both contents and notes like this
View attachment 98044

Or something else?
Both please, literally a mirror image if possible with all aspects of the cell being the same across the 4 cells in question in this example.

Thank you so much for your help.

Upvote 0
vba can easily detect if the actual cell contents are changed. There is no easy way as far as I know to detect if say a Note is altered or the cell font is changed or borders are added etc.
However, you could experiment with this Worksheet_SelectionChange event code to see if it would suffice. There may be instances where you do something to A1 (say add colour to the cell) and that change is not immediately reflected in the other cells but will be as soon as some other cell/range is selected.
To implement ..
1. Right click the sheet name tab and choose "View Code".
2. Copy and Paste the code below into the main right hand pane that opens at step 1.
3. Close the Visual Basic window & test.
4. Your workbook will need to be saved as a macro-enabled workbook (*.xlsm)

VBA Code:
Private LastCellAddr As String

Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
  If LastCellAddr = "$A$1" Or Not Intersect(Target, Range("A1")) Is Nothing Then
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    Range("A1").Copy Destination:=Range("B1:D1")
    Application.EnableEvents = True
  End If
  LastCellAddr = ActiveCell.Address
End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaagu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back