Multiple Conditions Formula Index, Match, Small

NorthbyNorthwest

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Hi, everyone. I have formula:

=INDEX(Assignments!$B$6:$B$336,SMALL(IF(QAS=Assignments!$E$6:$E$336,MATCH(ROW(Assignments!$E$6:$E$336),ROW(Assignments!$E$6:$E$336)),""),ROWS($A$1:A1)))

that returns a list of names to me. But now I need to add another if condition. Second condition is if Assignments $I$6:$I$336 greater than or equal to 1. I keep trying to include this condition in formula, but I come up with errors. Could someone help me?

Your logic is correct and the formula should work. People often miss the extra pair of parentheses around the + arrays which can cause errors but you have it exactly as it should be.
The formulas is written correctly to return results where column E of assignments matches E2 on the dashboard and there is a value >=0 in any of the 3 columns, F, G, or H on the same row.

A simple trick that I use when formulas are not behaving correctly is to limit the ranges to a single row that I know should be a match then use the evaluation tool to see where it is going wrong. If you can find which of the columns is returning FALSE instead of TRUE then it will help in identifying the cause, perhaps something as simple as a typo in column E?
Hi, Jason. I solved it. Turns out I did not need the additional paratheses. The following formula returned the correct answer:

=FILTER(Assignments!$B$6:$B$336,(Dashboard!$E$2=Assignments!$E$6:$E$336)*(Assignments!$F$6:$F$336>=1)+(Assignments!$G$6:$G$336>=1)+( Assignments!$H$6:$H$336>=1),"")

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
Maybe I was misunderstanding what you wanted with that formula.

Without the extra parentheses it will return rows where G or H is greater than 1 even if column E is not a match.

If that is not what you want but the formula is returning the correct results then it suggests that there is something wrong with the data causing some rows to match incorrectly and that the correct results are coming through by chance rather than accuracy.

Upvote 0
Your logic is correct and the formula should work. People often miss the extra pair of parentheses around the + arrays which can cause errors but you have it exactly as it should be.
The formulas is written correctly to return results where column E of assignments matches E2 on the dashboard and there is a value >=0 in any of the 3 columns, F, G, or H on the same row.

A simple trick that I use when formulas are not behaving correctly is to limit the ranges to a single row that I know should be a match then use the evaluation tool to see where it is going wrong. If you can find which of the columns is returning FALSE instead of TRUE then it will help in identifying the cause, perhaps something as simple as a typo in column E?
You're right. I now have it working with the parentheses enclosing the "or" criteria. I guess it's me. I haven't mastered the new array functions yet. Thanks, again.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rscraig11

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back