Multiple data validations in a range of cells and preventing duplicate entries within a column with multiple exceptions

crs06e

Hello,

I am developing a resource allocation/scheduling tool for my construction company. We have a lot of small and simple jobs that we use almost all of our own labor force on. With such a large number of jobs and workers, we quickly realized we needed a tool to track and manage the jobs/workers. I have developed a spreadsheet and I have taken it as far as I can go. Here is what I need help on.

In the schedule row of each job section, the user can select from a drop down list, the task for that day. I created this list using the data validation list too. These rows also have conditional formatting that assigns a specific color to each task. In the resources rows of each job section, users can select a worker from a list of resources that I also created using the data validation list tool.

Now, I need to prevent duplicate entries being allowed in an individual column with multiple exceptions. The first problem is, I cannot figure out how to enter multiple data validations in a cell. Excel keeps wanting me to erase all of the other data validation entries.

Once I achieve this I need to be able to prevent duplicate entries in an individual column while allowing multiple exceptions. The multiple exceptions need to be the exact words from the task list. This way, users cannot schedule a worker twice in a day, but it allows users to enter in the same tasks in that column.

I look forward to any and all help!
Thanks!

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lunzwe73

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back