Multiple Find & Replace text in cells from a list

ericcellis

Hello,
I really need help! I build my website off of a very large excel file. I add new product frequently and the text I get from my vendor has symbols and characters that cause the web pages to fail being generated. I know what symbols and characters to do find and replaces for but there are about 20 different find and replaces that I have to do. This ends up taking FOREVER!!!

I want to know, is there a way to make a seperate workbook that has a list of the problem symbols and characters, and then somehow have find replace go down the list and do each find and replace on the workbook that builds my webpages? I would like the list to be in a seperate workbook because I have multiple workbooks for my website so it would be easier if I only had 1 workbook to update the find and replace data.

This procedure really takes a lot of time so it would really help me out if I could automate it somehow.

Here is an small example of what I am needing to find and replace (note: Each item below, in the html code, would have a ; at the end but I had to remove it so the code would show up on this site.)
Ampersand + a space: &amp
Quote:" to &quot (this is actually a non-standard quote - like the ones where the quote at the beginning is one direction and the end one is the other direction or upside down.)
Copywrite:© to &copy
Trademark:™ to &trade
à to &agrave
è to &egrave
á to &aacute
é to &eacute
í to &iacute

Thank you so much for your help!!!
Eric

Last edited:
Ok, thanks for the help! I really appreciate it. It's kinda funny, long ago I used basic with DOS. I can see some parts of it in the code but it sure has a lot more in it now. I think I dumped that part of my brain many years ago from lack of use. The only thing I remember is
10 print "Beep"
15 sound=16000
20 for i=1 to 8000; next i
25 goto 10

I used to run this when I left class. hahaha how stupid. (not 100% sure on line 20 if I got it all right for a pause)

Thanks again for the help.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SCleaveland

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back