Multiple IF(OR(... , is there a simpler way?

Nashpotatoes

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am using excel to search multiple text reports (histology reports) that are normally 8-10 sentences long. I want to search for specific phrases such as "chronic scarring", or "calcification", include indeterminate findings as a separate categories, and exclude instances these phrases are preceded by things like "there is no",

So far, what I have is summarised below, but I feel there could be an easier way to:
1) Simplify my formula searching for multiple variations on "there is no sign of", so that if I come across a new phrase that I can add it easily
2) Or simplify the process so that I do not need to extract sentences from the full report into a separate column

I would be very grateful for any help.

-ABCDEF
1Full ReportExtracted sentence: CalcificationExtracted sentence: Chronic scarringCalcification?Chronic scarring?
There is calcification. There is no chronic scarring.
There is calcificationThere is no chronic scarringYesNo
There is borderline chronic scaring. No evidence of calcification
No evidence of calcificationThere is borderline chronic scaringNoBorderline
4Signs of possible calcification. Evidence of chronic scarringSigns of possible calcification Evidence of chronic scarringPossiblyYes

My current formulas looks like this:

In B, to extract sentences I have:

=IFERROR(TEXTJOIN(". ",TRUE,FILTERXML("<t><s>"&SUBSTITUTE($A2,".","</s><s>")&"</s></t>","//s[contains(translate(.,'C','c'), 'calcification')]")),"")

In D column I have:

=IF(ISBLANK(B2),"no",IF(OR(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("there is no",B2)),ISNUMBER(SEARCH("no evidence",B2)),ISNUMBER(SEARCH("no features of",B2)),ISNUMBER(SEARCH("no sign of",B2))),"no",(IF(OR(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("borderline",B2)),ISNUMBER(SEARCH("some evidence of",B2))),"Borderline",(IF(OR(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("possibly",B2)),ISNUMBER(SEARCH("may be",B2)),ISNUMBER(SEARCH("suspicious",B2)), ISNUMBER(SEARCH("cannot be exluded",B2)), ISNUMBER(SEARCH("although cannot exclude",B2))),"Possibly","yes")))))

Nb. Sometimes the reports no not mention the phrases "calcification" or "chronic scarring" at all

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
1) Simplify my formula searching for multiple variations on "there is no sign of", so that if I come across a new phrase that I can add it easily
2) Or simplify the process so that I do not need to extract sentences from the full report into a separate column

To add a new phrase can be in a data range. You can create the phrases, for example in the cell range from E2 to E50 and in the next column put the status.
Check the following, only one formula is required:
Dante Amor
ABCDEF
1Full ReportCalcification?Chronic scarring?PhrasesStatus
2There is calcification. There is no chronic scarring.YesNothere is noNo
3There is borderline chronic scarring. No evidence of calcificationNoBorderlineno evidenceNo
4Signs of possible calcification. Evidence of chronic scarringPossiblyYesno features ofNo
5Is although cannot exclude calcification. Evidence of chronic scarringPossiblyYesno sign ofNo
6May be chronic scarring. Is some evidence of calcificationBorderlinePossiblyBorderlineBorderline
7Is borderline calcification. although cannot exclude of chronic scarringBorderlinePossiblysome evidence ofBorderline
8possiblePossibly
9PossiblyPossibly
10may bePossibly
11suspiciousPossibly
12cannot be excludedPossibly
13although cannot excludePossibly
Hoja1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B2:C7B2=IFERROR(INDEX($F$2:$F$50,MAX((ISNUMBER(SEARCH(IF($E$2:$E$50<>"",$E$2:$E$50),IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(B$1,LEFT($A2,FIND(".",$A2)))),LEFT($A2,FIND(".",$A2)),MID($A2,FIND(".",$A2),999)))))*(ROW($F$2:$F$50)))-ROW($F$2)+1),"Yes")
Press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to enter array formulas.

----
NOTE XL2BB:
For the future, it would help greatly if you could give us the sample data in a form that we can copy to test with.
MrExcel has a tool called “XL2BB” that lets you post samples of your data that will allow us to copy/paste it to our Excel spreadsheets, so we can work with the same copy of data that you are. Instructions on using this tool can be found here: XL2BB Add-in
Note that there is also a "Test Here” forum on this board. This is a place where you can test using this tool (or any other posting techniques that you want to test) before trying to use those tools in your actual posts.

Upvote 0
To add a new phrase can be in a data range. You can create the phrases, for example in the cell range from E2 to E50 and in the next column put the status.
Check the following, only one formula is required:
Dante Amor
ABCDEF
1Full ReportCalcification?Chronic scarring?PhrasesStatus
2There is calcification. There is no chronic scarring.YesNothere is noNo
3There is borderline chronic scarring. No evidence of calcificationNoBorderlineno evidenceNo
4Signs of possible calcification. Evidence of chronic scarringPossiblyYesno features ofNo
5Is although cannot exclude calcification. Evidence of chronic scarringPossiblyYesno sign ofNo
6May be chronic scarring. Is some evidence of calcificationBorderlinePossiblyBorderlineBorderline
7Is borderline calcification. although cannot exclude of chronic scarringBorderlinePossiblysome evidence ofBorderline
8possiblePossibly
9PossiblyPossibly
10may bePossibly
11suspiciousPossibly
12cannot be excludedPossibly
13although cannot excludePossibly
Hoja1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B2:C7B2=IFERROR(INDEX($F$2:$F$50,MAX((ISNUMBER(SEARCH(IF($E$2:$E$50<>"",$E$2:$E$50),IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(B$1,LEFT($A2,FIND(".",$A2)))),LEFT($A2,FIND(".",$A2)),MID($A2,FIND(".",$A2),999)))))*(ROW($F$2:$F$50)))-ROW($F$2)+1),"Yes")
Press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to enter array formulas.

----
NOTE XL2BB:
For the future, it would help greatly if you could give us the sample data in a form that we can copy to test with.
MrExcel has a tool called “XL2BB” that lets you post samples of your data that will allow us to copy/paste it to our Excel spreadsheets, so we can work with the same copy of data that you are. Instructions on using this tool can be found here: XL2BB Add-in
Note that there is also a "Test Here” forum on this board. This is a place where you can test using this tool (or any other posting techniques that you want to test) before trying to use those tools in your actual posts.

Thank you very much for this, and for the advice about XL2BB, which I have used on different posts now. What I ended up going for was similar to your formula and using the table of phrases, but used IF(OR(COUNT IF... but on a cell that had already trimmed the large text field to the sentences containing the specific word. This also helped to add to the list of phrases without updating the formula.

1st in H column, to copy sentences containing the word calcification:

=IFERROR(TEXTJOIN(". ",TRUE,FILTERXML("<t><s>"&SUBSTITUTE($G2,".","</s><s>")&"</s></t>","//s[contains(translate(.,'C','c'), 'calcification')]")),"")

And then using the below formula to help decide whether phrasing used was positive, negative, or indeterminate (i.e. possibly):

=IF(H2="","no",IF(OR(COUNTIF(H2,"*"&(OFFSET(Phrases!$A$1,COUNTA(Phrases!$A$2:$A$40),0,-COUNTA(Phrases!$A$2:$A$40),1))&"*")),"no",IF(OR(COUNTIF(H2,"*"&OFFSET(Phrases!$C$1,COUNTA(Phrases!$C$2:$C$40),0,-COUNTA(Phrases!$C$2:$C$40),1)&"*")),"borderline",IF(OR(COUNTIF(H2,"*"&OFFSET(Phrases!$B$1,COUNTA(Phrases!$B$2:$B$40),0,-COUNTA(Phrases!$B$2:$B$40),1)&"*")),"possibly","yes"))))

Thanks

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stevenciu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back