Multiple users - formula to record who entered a value in a cell

Spoursy

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I use 365 and have a number of users coauthoring a workbook. When they make any change to a cell (either an initial entry, update or choice from a validation) is there a way of automatically recording into another cell the name of the person that made that change? 8 know I can look at a list of changes from a link in the ribbon but would like to see the name as described above. Any help welcome!

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
It's impossible without vba. Even if you use a function, it will update the username with the user who is currently using the file.

Upvote 0
Thanks. Do you know a VBA that would track all changes made in a specific sheet?

Upvote 0
Right click to sheet tab. Select "View Code". Paste the code below to the new opened window. This code will log the changes in column Z:
VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
  With Application
  .EnableEvents = False
  Cells(Rows.Count, "Z").End(xlUp).Offset(1).Value = .UserName & " has modified cell: " & Target.Address
  .EnableEvents = True
  End With
End Sub

Upvote 0
Ive tried to do that but when I try and run it the pop up Macro box comes up asking for a name

Upvote 0
No, you don't run it. This is an event, which means, it will fire up automatically each time a change occures in the sheet.

Upvote 0
No, you don't run it. This is an event, which means, it will fire up automatically each time a change occures in the sheet.
Thanks - Can you let me know how I could get it to record the changes made in a specific sheet called "OSV Tracker".

Upvote 0
VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
  With Application
   If .UserName = "OSV" Then
    .EnableEvents = False
    Cells(Rows.Count, "Z").End(xlUp).Offset(1).Value = "OSV has modified cell: " & Target.Address
    .EnableEvents = True
  End If
  End With
End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoonDancer

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back