Multiplying hours by different dollar amounts based upon time worked

cdmacme

I charge one rate for day work and one for night shifts. My spreadsheet is set to figure the total number of hours worked and I know how to multiply by dollars to get answer #1, but is it possible to use a formula to multiply times a different rate for a night shift?

For example I use =IF(B2<A2,B2+1,B2)-A2 to get the correct number of hours worked for night shifts in C2. Can I then refer to B2 being less than A2 in order to multiply C2 times one dollar amount vs. another? I would like for D2 to automatically calculate the proper dollar total dependent upon the type of shift and number of hours worked.

My specifics are: days = $60/hr, nights (anything that spans midnight) =$90/hr.

Thanks for the help - love the site.

I tried something like this but received an error. Maybe someone with a little more experience can tweak it if possible.

=if(a2<24:00>b2,c2*90,c2*60)

with a2 = start time
b2 = end time
c2 = hours worked

maybe there is a time formula that would work on this?!?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
This is exactly what I'm going for - yes. I'll try and tweak it myself but would really appreciate the excel pros taking a look too. Thanks for the efforts, very much.

Upvote 0
To determine a rate for multiple conditions, use "OR()" or "AND()". This uses the $90 rate if the time worked crosses midnight or if start time is after midnight but before 6am:

=IF(OR(B2-A2 < 0,A2 < 6/24),C2*90,C2*60) note: remove the spaces around the < and > signs before entering formula to excel

a2 = start time
b2 = end time
c2 = hours worked

B2-A2 tests for crossing midnight
A2 < 6/24 tests for a start time after midnight but before 6:00 am (for before say 8am, change the 6/24 to 8/24)

Upvote 0
Thank you! I only needed to add *24 to the ending parameters so that the final result could be currency. This is exactly what I needed!!

You've helped a ton and saved me hours of manual entering.

THANKS!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrew Slatter

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back