multivariable optimization (cost and output pressure)

stkyle

Hi there,

I'm working on a rather large optimization program. I really should be using Matlab, but my company doesn't have it, so here I am. Anywho, I'm working to optimize pump cost efficiency. I have about 30 different pump combinations, with 15 drag reducer concentrations at one pumping station, and then 15 more drag reducer concentrations at another (sounds like one of those horrible grade school word problems huh). What I need to do is take the best final pressure outputs (between 50 and 65), cross-reference with the corresponding costs and select the minimum cost. What I'm going for is a user input flow rate which then instantly outputs best pump combination, both drag reducer concentrations, and final cost.

I was messing around with conditional formatting and I could get the pressure outputs I wanted a very pretty green color, but that's about it.

Not only can I not disclose the data, it's seriously huge, with 7000 combinations of pump and drag reducer. I could make an example file given some time though if you need to see what I'm talking about.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
Thanks steve, your name made me chuckle by the way. I used match and index in a similar program, was hoping to avoid it this time around as it gets confusing fast, but I think I'll have to just dig in. Sumproduct seems a step in the right direction, no need for the sum though. I was thinking some combination of logicals might help, I'll have to do some experimenting

I threw together this basic example so you guys could have a look if you're interested... Just saw that attachments can't be posted without downloading the html maker, and I can't download anything atm. So if you want a copy, email st.kyle@hotmail.com

I'm using 2007 btw (unfortunately)

Upvote 0
SumProduct is a great function that can be treated as a boolean operator for count, average, sum, sumproduct, etc.

Very powerful. Don't let the function name mislead you. :) But my name should mislead :)

Upvote 0
Just in case anyone out there had the same problem, here's how i solved it:

Final output from my pressure equations into one large matrix, from that another matrix with the corresponding costs, and a third matrix consisting of =IF(AND(M6>50, M6<65),AE6) that way only the prices for the appropriate pressure values are displayed, all else are FALSE. Then it's simply a matter of using MIN to find the smallest cost and combinations of MATCH and LOOKUP to find the corresponding concentration and pump combinations.

There you have it. Inputs --Magic--> optimized!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back