#N/A Error - Index Match Formula - What am I missing?!

jamestgarner

[FONT=&quot]I am using an Index Match formula that appears fairly simple, but continues to return #N/A when I see the lookup value in the array. Perhaps I am missing something minute.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I would like to return the date in column T with the matching number in column S. The specific value that I'm trying to match is in cell T5, which happens to be the value "341". Here is an example of the table in excel I am trying to index/match.[/FONT]
Cell ReferenceST
1411/1/2010
1522/1/2010
1633/1/2010
1744/1/2010
1855/1/2010
1966/1/2010
2077/1/2010
5335204/1/2053

<tbody style="box-sizing: border-box; border: 0px; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; vertical-align: top; -webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased;">
</tbody>
[FONT=&quot]And my formula is as follows:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]=INDEX(T14:T533,MATCH(T5,S14:S533,0))[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Where T5 is the Value "341" that I am trying to match from the numbered list in column S (S14:S533) and return the corresponding date in Column T (T14:T533).[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Why is this not working? What am I missing here?[/FONT]

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
Maybe the number in T5 is being recognized as a text value instead of a numerical value. Or, maybe the numbers in S14:S533 are being recognized as text values. In either case, there would be a mismatch of data types, hence the #N/A error value. The ISNUMBER function can be used to test for numerical values. So, for example, to test whether T5 contains a numerical value...

=ISNUMBER(T5)

Is it the case that there's a mismatch of data types?

Upvote 0
It's very strange because I made sure they are all formatted as numbers and still the error. I tried vlookup instead, and received the error. The number 341 is actually pulling from a formula which subtracts two dates and divides by 7 to get a "Number of Weeks". I tried having the index/match pull from cell T4 where T4=T5 to try and eliminate an issue with the formula/formatting that way, but still got the error. Any other ideas?

Upvote 0
I bet that it isn't 341 but instead something like 340.98 or 341.4

You can try adding a rounding function into your formula to ensure that it gives you the correct lookup value.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HypnoFant

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back