Need Excel Help Creating Non-Numerical Histogram

sivalleycubfan

Hi all,

I'm certainly not an advanced Excel user, but I thought I could figure out this problem on my own. But after struggling with it for a while, I'm getting frustrated. Here's what I want to do.

I want to create a histogram (or bar graph) that counts the number of occurrences of each of a given number of non-numerical entries. For instance, let's say I have a pair of columns that looks like the one below, where I'm using commas to indicate different fields in the spreadsheet:

red, apple
blue, blueberry
green, grape
red, onion
red, strawberry
green, pear

Now, I want to have a chart that counts up the occurrences of red, blue, and green, and shows me the numbers (so in this case it would have a bar labeled "red" with a value of 3, a bar for "green" with a value of 2, and a bar for "blue" with a value of 1). I can make a histogram if I assign a numerical value to red, blue, and green, and use the frequency function. But in this application, I really want to make the "buckets" strings, as opposed to numbers.

This seems like it should be easy, but I'm lost. Help! Thanks in advance!

SiValleyCubFan

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
Okay, next question

Hi all,

Okay, thanks to others on this forum...in reading some other postings going back a few weeks, I discovered the "COUNTIF" function, which I'd never heard of before. Using that I can now count up the occurrences of each type and get numerical values, which can in turn be charted. Not quite as slick as what I was hoping for, but it gets the job done nonetheless. Very cool.

Okay, next question. I have created a drop-down box and set up the categories of things that can be selected in that cell. Continuing the previous example, red, green, and blue are all selected via drop-down box options. However, my reference cells for the drop-down box options have text formatting (the "red" text is colored red, and so on).

How do I get the text formatting to carry over from the source cell to the cell with the drop-down box?

Thanks in advance, and thanks for a cool forum. I'm learning a lot just by browsing entries.

SiValleyCubFan

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back