Need Help Creating Form For Entering Customer Zip Codes

woostermatt

Hi. I own a store in Ohio. Ohio has 1400 zip codes. Every time a customer checks out, we ask for their zip code. We would like, at the end of each day, to enter that data into a spreadsheet that would keep track of those zip codes so that later, at the end of every week, month and year, we could see generate reports that would tell us there we were drawing customers from, geographically, daily, weekly and monthly. ( I suppose I could have a spreadsheet that has all 1,400 zip codes in a column down the left, and the dates sequentially across the top of the spreadsheet on the top, from left to right. But at 1,400 zip codes, it's a lot of scrolling to find each one and enter the number of customers for each zip code, you know?

Her'e our process at the front desk: Every time we get a zip code form a customer, the clerk writes it down in tally form on that day's sheet. I am envisioning an Excel/Access form that our cashier could simply enter data into at the end of each day. The data that is entered into the form would populate the underlying spreadsheet. The form would automatically choose the current day's date by default; the cashier would simply enter the day's tally for each zip code.

For example, the clerk would use a shortcut to start Excel/Access and bring up the form. By default, the day's date would be auto-filled (though the clerk could change it, if needed). The clerk would then begin entering the numbers from the day:

Zipcode

44691: 9
44676: 3
44898: 13

and so forth. That data would all be captured in the appropriate fields in the underlying spreadsheet for that date, and those zip codes. Make sense?

Once this spreadsheet starts filling with data, I can run reports that show me that, say, last week we had 29 customers from 44691, 12, from 44676, 11 from 44898, etc. And I can do the same thing at the end of the month, and the year. And I can do comparisons from month-to-month. And year-to-year.

This doesn't seem like it's a very complicated task. The problem is: I am not good enough at Excel or Access to begin to understand how to design what I am envisioning. Has anyone seen a Template that I could use, or tweak? Anyone have any suggestions on how to go about creating one myself?? Anyone want to make a few bucks and design me one? I hope someone stumbles on this post. I'd love to get this going. Thanks!!

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
Hopefully this may be the sort of thing you're looking for?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_dlXxlE0XVBd1MwU3IzOERJeE0/view?usp=drivesdk
It uses macros, so you'll need to make sure that you have macros enabled in Excel.

There's three sheets:

• Input sheet - this is what your cashier would use. The date in B2 defaults to the current date, but can be overtyped. Then a list of zip codes and the number of customers should be entered in columns A and B, starting at row 4. It is important that there are no rows left blank between zip codes. Once they're all entered, click the Add Data button near the top. A message will appear asking them to confirm, select Yes. The data will be appended to the Data sheet, and the Input sheet will be reset. Remeber to save the spreadsheet, so that the input data isn't lost.
  • Data sheet - this is a list of all dates, zip codes and customer counts entered. You won't normally need to touch this, but you can remove old data by simply deleting rows.
  • Report sheet - you can get it to produce a report with date range(s) as columns and zip codes as rows. Enter the date range(s) that you want to report in columns A and B starting with row 3. Again, don't leave blank rows. Each range must have a From and To date. When all ranges have been input, click Create Report. A report will be opened in a new spreadsheet. The length of time taken to produce/open the report will increase slightly as the quantity of data held increases, so with time you may want to remove some of the old records on the Data sheet. Because the reports open in a new spreadsheet, you can always save these as an archive if you want.

A note on dates ... I'm in England, where we use a date format of day/month/year. I believe that you may use month/day/year. I've tried to produce it in such a way that it will recognise that its being used on a US computer and use your date format, but if the dates appear strange, this might be the reason. If you have this, or any other problem, with it - let me know!

Hope it helps!!

Upvote 0
Thanks so much Trevor! I'll take a peek and see if it's something that might week for me. Is this something you already had? Or did you make it for me? Just curious.

Cheers!

Matt

Upvote 0
Just wrote it this afternoon. Its quite basic, but will hopefully do what you want!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PressEscape

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back