Need help deconstructing olap pivot with VBA

bchorn

Hello. First time poster here. I have a challenging problem here that I am seeking help with.

I manage a set of 10 olaps with a user base of 1000 users worldwide. I'm in the process of completely rebuilding the infrastructure of my olaps. Once I go live with the new olaps, i will need to help my users migrate the pivots they have saved in their workbooks on their desktops from the old olaps to the new olaps.

My plan was to build a workbook that would perform the conversion for them by programatically reading the structure of the pivot, migrating old cubefields, pivotfields, and pivotitems to the new cubefields, pivotfields, and pivotitems.

I'm not sure if this is possible or not since I don't have a lot of experience programmatically manipulating olap PivotTables. So I'm trying to build a proof of concept that simply memorizes all the components of a pivottable, remove all the fields, and then add all the fields back.

The problem I'm having so far is that I'm having a hard time trying to figure out when I should be looking at CubeFields, when I should be looking PivotFields and when I should be looking at PivotItems. There seems to be a lot of overlap between CubeFields and PivotFields. And then PivotItems appear whenever a hierarchy has been expanded.

Anyone know of a good article that can explain the difference between the three and when I should use each one programatically? I've googling for a while and haven't been able to find one yet.

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickWBA

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back