Need Help On A Challenging Formula

ranjith2523

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Hi Friends,

I was just breaking my head for the past two days to build a formula and I would like to ask sorry to you all since I know its a kind of huge help but I don't have a choice now.

I tried to apply a formula in from cell C2 like IF(OR(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("PW" ... but it didn't work as per the expectation.

ProductDesc TxtShort Notes100 ch description
HM1T3PEHPE 1Y PW OEM Prts Log DL360 Gen10 SVCPWHPE 1 Year Post Warranty OEM Parts Logistics DL360 Gen10 Service
HM1T4PEHPE 1Y PW OEM PrtsLog wDMR DL360 G10 SVCPW-EduAruba 1 Year Foundation Care Next Business Day Exchange Education/Retail AP-503H Unified Service
HM1T5PEHPE 1Y PW OEMPrtsLog wCDMR DL360 G10 SVCPW-Edu/VolAruba 1 Year Foundation Care Next Business Day Exchange Volume T1 AP-503H Unified Service
HS3B1EHPE 3Y PC NBD Apollo Rack CDU SVCPC-EduAruba 1 Year Foundation Care Next Business Day Exchange Education/Retail AP-503H Unified Service
HS3B1EHPE 3Y PC NBD Apollo Rack CDU SVCPC-Edu/VolAruba 1 Year Foundation Care Next Business Day Exchange Volume T1 AP-503H Unified Service
HS3B1EHPE 3Y PC NBD Apollo Rack CDU SVCPCHPE 3 Year Proactive Care Next Business Day Apollo Rack CDU Service
HU4F5EAruba 1Y FC NBD Exch EDU/R AP-503HUniSVCFC-EduAruba 1 Year Foundation Care Next Business Day Exchange Education/Retail AP-503H Unified Service
HU4F6EAruba 1Y FC NBD Exch VolT1 AP-503HUniSVCFC-Edu/VolAruba 1 Year Foundation Care Next Business Day Exchange Volume T1 AP-503H Unified Service
HS3B4EHPE 3Y FC CTR Apollo Rack CDU SVCFCHPE 3 Year Foundation Care Call-To-Repair Apollo Rack CDU Service
HA9J1EHPE Synergy Basic 1st Frame Deploy SVCEduAruba 1 Year Foundation Care Next Business Day Exchange Education/Retail AP-503H Unified Service
HA9J2EHPE Synergy Basic Add Frame Deploy SVCEdu/VolAruba 1 Year Foundation Care Next Business Day Exchange Volume T1 AP-503H Unified Service
HA9J1EHPE Synergy Basic 1st Frame Deploy SVCHPE Synergy Basic First Frame Deployment Service
HA9J2EHPE Synergy Basic Add Frame Deploy SVCHPE Synergy Basic Add Frame Deployment Service

Scenario 1 - In A Column, if Product Number ends with PE (E.g., HM1T3PE) then in C column the short note value should be written as "PW", additionally, in D column if the text contains "Edu" then the value should be written as "PW-Edu" or in D column if the text contains "Vol" then the value should be written as "PW-Edu/Vol"

Scenario 2 - In A Column, if Product Number DOES NOT end with PE (E.g., HM1T3PE) and in B column text contains "Y P" then the short note value should be written as "PC", additionally, in D column if the text contains "Edu" then the value should be written as "PC-Edu" or in D column if the text contains "Vol" then the value should be written as "PC-Edu/Vol"

Scenario 3 - In A Column, if Product Number DOES NOT end with PE (E.g., HM1T3PE) and in B column text contains "Y F" then the short note value should be written as "FC", additionally, in D column if the text contains "Edu" then the value should be written as "FC-Edu" or in D column if the text contains "Vol" then the value should be written as "FC-Edu/Vol"

Scenario 4 - In A Column, if Product Number DOES NOT end with PE (E.g., HM1T3PE) and in B column text DOES NOT contain "Y P" or "Y F" but in D column if the text contains "Edu" then the value should be written as "Edu" or in D column if the text contains "Vol" then the value should be written as "Vol"

Scenario 5 - If none of the above scenarios matched then the C Column short note value should be "Blank"

Thanks for all your help in advance.

Regards,
Ranjith

How about:

=IF(RIGHT(A2,2)="PE","PW"&LOOKUP(2,1/SEARCH({"","Edu","Vol"},D2),{"","-Edu","-Edu/Vol"}),SUBSTITUTE(TRIM(LOOKUP(2,1/FIND({"","Y P","Y F"},B2),{"","PC ","FC "})&LOOKUP(2,1/SEARCH({"","Edu","Vol"},D2),{""," Edu"," Edu/Vol"}))," ","-"))
Hi Rory,

I am continuously thanking peoples here and I am really happy about that.

Thank you so much for your formula. It is perfectly working as expected. Thanks a lot for your time and help.

If you don't mind, could you please break up the formula and explain to me how it works since I really wanted to learn.

Regards,
Ranjith

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
They all work, you have at least 3 other different suggestions.

My first suggestion is just a longer version of what you started doing so nothing that I can break down really.

My second suggestion will only work in the latest versions of excel, this is why you see the #NAME? error, your version does not have the TEXTJOIN function.

The suggestions from @Eric W and @RoryA will both work in your version of excel.
Thanks Jacob, Now, I understand that the TEXTJOIN function will work only on the latest version of excel.

Yes, Jason, Eric and Rory's formula working for me and i requested them to explain the formula to know how it work.

I hope they will help for me to learn.

Thank you again Jacob.

Upvote 0
Others 2 formula

=SUBSTITUTE(TRIM(IF(RIGHT(A2,2)="PE","PW",LOOKUP(99,FIND({"","Y P","Y F"},B2),{"","PC","PF"}))&LOOKUP(0,-FIND({"","Edu","Vol"},D2),{""," Edu"," Edu/Vol"}))," ","-")

=SUBSTITUTE(TRIM(LOOKUP(0,-SEARCH({"","PW","PC","FC"},B2),{"","PW","PC","FC"})&LOOKUP(0,-FIND({"","Edu","Vol"},D2),{""," Edu"," Edu/Vol"}))," ","-")

Upvote 0
In line with Jason's approach, I can actually shorten that a little to:

=SUBSTITUTE(TRIM(IF(RIGHT(A2,2)="PE","PW ",LOOKUP(2,1/FIND({"","Y P","Y F"},B2),{"","PC ","FC "}))&LOOKUP(2,1/SEARCH({"","Edu","Vol"},D2),{""," Edu"," Edu/Vol"}))," ","-")

To break that down a bit:

LOOKUP(2,1/
FIND({"","Y P","Y F"},B2)​
{"","PC ","FC "}​
)

the red part looks for an array of text values in B2, and returns an array with either the position that the value was found, or an error. Dividing one by that array will return an array of fractions or errors. The lookup function will then find the last number value in that array (since it ignores errors, and 2 will be bigger than any fraction with 1 as the numerator), and return the corresponding text from the blue result array.
This technique is repeated with the Edu/Vol searches.

You'll note that the first return values end with a space and the second array values that are appended begin with a space. This means that you could end up with double spaces if the first and second parts both return a value, so TRIM removes any leading or trailing spaces and also replaces any double spaces with a single space. The SUBSTITUTE function then replaces any remaining spaces with a - character.

You should try using the formula evaluation tool with each cell to see how each part works. :)

Upvote 0
Hi Eric,

Thank you so much for your formula.. It is perfectly working as expected. Thanks a lot for your time and help.

If you don't mind, could you please break up the formula and explain me how it works since i really wanted to learn.

Regards,
Ranjith
I'm going to defer explaining how my formula works. The other suggestions are both shorter and simpler than what I came up with, so I'd recommend going with one of those. Interesting how many ways there are to do things in Excel.

Good luck!

Upvote 0
ooks for an array of text value
Others 2 formula

=SUBSTITUTE(TRIM(IF(RIGHT(A2,2)="PE","PW",LOOKUP(99,FIND({"","Y P","Y F"},B2),{"","PC","PF"}))&LOOKUP(0,-FIND({"","Edu","Vol"},D2),{""," Edu"," Edu/Vol"}))," ","-")

=SUBSTITUTE(TRIM(LOOKUP(0,-SEARCH({"","PW","PC","FC"},B2),{"","PW","PC","FC"})&LOOKUP(0,-FIND({"","Edu","Vol"},D2),{""," Edu"," Edu/Vol"}))," ","-")

Not sure how to say Thank you for all your help. Both Formulas are working as expected. Thank You !!!

Upvote 0
Something like

=SUBSTITUTE(TRIM(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("PE",A2)),"PW ",IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Y P",B2)),"PC ",IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Y F",B2)),"FC ","")))&IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Edu",D2)),"Edu",IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Vol",D2)),"Edu/Vol","")))," ","-")

Hi Jason,

Sorry to bother you again !!!

Actually, your formula is easy for me to understand.

I am clear with the ISNUMBER and SEARCH functionality here but please explain why the substitute and trim formula needed here and how it actually works.

Thank you
Ranjith

Upvote 0
Trim removes the space after the first part when the second part is empty.

Substitute replaces the space between the 2 parts with -

Without those you would get PW- instead of PW when the second part is empty.

Upvote 0
Trim removes the space after the first part when the second part is empty.

Substitute replaces the space between the 2 parts with -

Without those you would get PW- instead of PW when the second part is empty.
Thank you Jason.. It's really very clear for me now. I just wrote the formula on my own now. Thanks again for your patience and help !!!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaagu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back