Need help with a tricky string

fredrerik84

Hi Guys Ive been away from this forum for a couple of weeks as most of my work I have been able to handle after all tips and trick I have learned he.

But now I run into another problem: I try to Clean a string like this:

Code:
If InStr(Venue, "Venue") = 0 Then
    Cells(rr, "AJ").Value = "Venue: Unknown"
Else
    Cells(rr, "AJ").Value = Venue
End If

If InStr(Venue, "Referee") <> 0 Then
     Pos = InStr(1, Venue, "Referee")
     Venue = Left(Venue, Pos - 2)
End If

This code have been enough to get my desired results for the most part but just now the string returned a unexpected result which my code cant handle:

First leg (2-1), agg. (3-3). THE NEW SAINTS AET. Venue: Estadio Algarve, Faro Loule. MATCH SUMMARY : Europa earned 1st two legged victory in last seasons UEFA Europa League. Europa lifted 1st Gibraltar league title in 65 years in 2016/17. TNS reached 2nd qualifying round in each of last 5 seasons. Winner face Croatian title holders Rijeka in 2nd round.

<tbody>
</tbody>

Could anyone please help me update my code so that the above string gets reduced to:

"Venue: Estadio Algarve, Faro Loule."

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
Hello,

Question is if this string you posted always looks the same:

"[Some text].Venue: [some text]. MATCH SUMMARY [some text]."
If yes you could do the same thing you did in IF with "Referee". Just find starting position of Venue and assign it to a var (i.e. venpos). Then find starting position of MATCH SUMMARY and assign it to a var (i.e. matchpos) then you could write:

Code:
If InStr(Venue, "Venue") = 0 Then
    Cells(rr, "AJ").Value = "Venue: Unknown"
Else
    Cells(rr, "AJ").Value = mid(Venue, venpos, matchpos -2)
End If

Upvote 0
Hi thanks for your reply.
unfortunately this string does not always look the same. could i somehow use your code like thi:

Rich (BB code):
If InStr(Venue, "leg ") < 0 Then
end if

Also what is the best way to combine the with the code I pasted earlier . Im quite sure there will be more unexpected returns from this string.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi thanks for your reply.
unfortunately this string does not always look the same. could i somehow use your code like thi:

Rich (BB code):
If InStr(Venue, "leg ") < 0 Then
end if

Also what is the best way to combine the with the code I pasted earlier . Im quite sure there will be more unexpected returns from this string.

I have tested this a little now as you suggested, but for some reason "matchpos returns 86 , not sure why so this is what I get returned:

"Venue: Estadio Algarve, Faro Loule. MATCH SUMMARY : Europa earned 1st two legged vic"

<tbody>
</tbody>

and here is my updated code:
Rich (BB code):
If InStr(Venue, "First leg") <> 0 Then
   venpos = InStr(Venue, "Venue")
   matchpos = InStr(Venue, "MATCH")
   MsgBox matchpos
   Venue = Mid(Venue, venpos, matchpos - 2)
End If

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My bad. I didn't take into account that for Venue instr returns value greater than 1.

Change this:

Code:
Mid(Venue, venpos, matchpos - 2)

into

Code:
Mid(Venue, venpos, matchpos - 1 - venpos)

Additional -1 is because resulting string has a space after last DOT. Unless that's not an issue then you can use this only:
Code:
Mid(Venue, venpos, matchpos - venpos)

As for your second question. If this string doesn't always look the same then this code won't work as intended. Maybe you need to organize data a bit differently? But for more suggestions I have to few info on what is your goal and how your data looks/can look like.

P.s. Your updated code gives you pos 1 (for "First leg" string), then it's ok. You can use it :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My bad. I didn't take into account that for Venue instr returns value greater than 1.

Change this:

Code:
Mid(Venue, venpos, matchpos - 2)

into

Code:
Mid(Venue, venpos, matchpos - 1 - venpos)

Additional -1 is because resulting string has a space after last DOT. Unless that's not an issue then you can use this only:
Code:
Mid(Venue, venpos, matchpos - venpos)

As for your second question. If this string doesn't always look the same then this code won't work as intended. Maybe you need to organize data a bit differently? But for more suggestions I have to few info on what is your goal and how your data looks/can look like.

P.s. Your updated code gives you pos 1 (for "First leg" string), then it's ok. You can use it :)

Hi thanks for your reply , This last part of the code was driving me crazy , I guess its easy when you know what you are doing:) really appreciate your help.

"Maybe you need to organize data a bit differently?"

- Unfortunately I have no control over what is stored in this string , as this info is pulled from an web page.

But have tested all my 150 rows and so far all looks great :)

Upvote 0
I'm glad I could help. :)

Do you have time for maybe a quick follow up question. as I got another string that my code dont have covered :/

string:

Missed Penalty for PORTUGAL at 17th min. by SILVA A. Venue: Spartak Stadium, Moscow.

<tbody>
</tbody>

I need everything to the right for "venue" Venue: Spartak Stadium, Moscow.

Maybe if you give another sample I will understand exactly how to use left,mid,right correctly

Edit: Nevermind handled it myself:
Code:
                 If InStr(Venue, "Missed Penalty") <> 0 Then
                            venpos = InStr(Venue, "Venue")
                            matchpos = Len(Venue)
                            Venue = Mid(Venue, venpos, matchpos - 1 - venpos)
                         End If

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
panjongshing

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back