Need help with cell formula!

mawalton

I am setting up a hockey pool in excel to keep track of playoff scoring automatically. I will try to explain this as best I can.

I have a worksheet that has every players name (B2:B125) and on the same row it will have a total column for total points (F2:F125). How do I setup a cell reference so that when I input a players name on a different worksheet it knows what value (F column) goes with the name I put in. Instead of individually referencing the cell for every teams entry that has that player.

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
Hello,

If I'm understanding you correctly, you can use either VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH to handle this.

Assuming that your first sheet containing all player names and total points is Sheet 1, and you input a player name from that list in cell A2 on Sheet2, then in B2 on sheet2, enter:

=VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet1!B:F,5,false)

Does that get you what you need? Of course, if the player is not found in your master list, it will return an error.

Upvote 0
Hello,

If I'm understanding you correctly, you can use either VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH to handle this.

Assuming that your first sheet containing all player names and total points is Sheet 1, and you input a player name from that list in cell A2 on Sheet2, then in B2 on sheet2, enter:

=VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet1!B:F,5,false)

Does that get you what you need? Of course, if the player is not found in your master list, it will return an error.

Thanks for your reply, I tried inserting this formula on a practice sheet with all the names (correct row/column references) and it produces a 0, once I input the name beside it (which is in the list) I get #N/A…..

Thanks Again

Upvote 0
Thanks, I think I was messing up between my actual workbook and my 'test' one. Seems to have worked. Appreciate the tip.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvine

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back