SDave

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. MacOS
Hi Guys,

I'm wondering if you could help me.

I have a nested IF AND formula which I can't get quite right - I must have been over it a million times.

Essentially what I'm trying to do is work out the status of an individual based on a date range.

The formula is:

=IF(ISERROR(IF(AND(C3>=Headcount!$D$13,AC3<=Headcount!$D$14),"Hired and Terminated in Period",IF(AND(C3>=Headcount!$D$13,C3<=Headcount!$D$14),"Hired in Period",IF(AND(AC3>=Headcount!$D$13,AC3<=Headcount!$D$14),"Terminated in Period",IF(AC3<Headcount!$D$13,"Terminated in Prior Period",IF(C3>=Headcount!$D$14,"Future Period Hire","Active in Period")))))),"",IF(AND(C3>=Headcount!$D$13,AC3<=Headcount!$D$14),"Hired and Terminated in Period",IF(AND(C3>=Headcount!$D$13,C3<=Headcount!$D$14),"Hired in Period",IF(AND(AC3>=Headcount!$D$13,AC3<=Headcount!$D$14),"Terminated in Period",IF(AC3<Headcount!$D$13,"Terminated in Prior Period",IF(C3>=Headcount!$D$14,"Future Period Hire","Active in Period"))))))

C3 = Hire Date
AC3 = Termination Date
$D$13 = Period Start Date
$D$14 = Period End Date

For the majority of people it seems to work fine.

I've got one record for instance for Joe Bloggs, whose:

Hire date is 03/08/2020
Termination date is 06/04/2020

The end result for Joe should be Active in Period, whereas it currently states Terminated in Prior Period.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Sam

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
What are the period dates when you get that problem?

Upvote 0
Hi Fluff,

The period dates are - start 01/09/2020 - end 30/09/2020.

Thanks,

Sam

Upvote 0
Then it would appear that the formula result is correct, perhaps the termination date is wrong?

Upvote 0
In post#3 it looks as though you are using dd/mm/yy style dates, in which case the termination date is before the start date. :confused:

Upvote 0
Hi Jason/Fluff,

It's a bit of weird one.

Joe in this case is a rehire. I've tried re-sequencing the formula/changing the order of the clauses, but that doesn't seem to work. Essentially if the hire date > termination date, which in this case it is, the result should read Active in Period.

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks,

Sam

Upvote 0
Surely if he's a re-hire, then the termination date should be blank as he hasn't yet been terminated for this period of employment.

Upvote 0
The problem is I have to count prior period terminations - including rehires.

I've essentially got two columns - This Period Status and Prior Period Status.

The Prior Period Status is essentially the same formula, the only difference being the Period Start and End Date, which is 01/08/2020 - 31/08/2020.

For Joe, his prior period status should be Hired in Period - his hire date falls between the prior period start and end date. His this period status should be Active in Period.

This period formula:

=IF(ISERROR(IF(AND(C3>=Headcount!$D$13,AC3<=Headcount!$D$14),"Hired and Terminated in Period",IF(AND(C3>=Headcount!$D$13,C3<=Headcount!$D$14),"Hired in Period",IF(AND(AC3>=Headcount!$D$13,AC3<=Headcount!$D$14),"Terminated in Period",IF(AC3<Headcount!$D$13,"Terminated in Prior Period",IF(C3>=Headcount!$D$14,"Future Period Hire","Active in Period")))))),"",IF(AND(C3>=Headcount!$D$13,AC3<=Headcount!$D$14),"Hired and Terminated in Period",IF(AND(C3>=Headcount!$D$13,C3<=Headcount!$D$14),"Hired in Period",IF(AND(AC3>=Headcount!$D$13,AC3<=Headcount!$D$14),"Terminated in Period",IF(AC3<Headcount!$D$13,"Terminated in Prior Period",IF(C3>=Headcount!$D$14,"Future Period Hire","Active in Period"))))))

Where $D$14 = 01/09/2020
$D$15 = 30/09/2020
C3 = Hire Date (03/08/2020)
AC3 = Termination Date (06/04/2020)

Prior period formula:

=IF(ISERROR(IF(AND(C3>=Headcount!$D$15,AC3<=Headcount!$D$16),"Hired and Terminated in Period",IF(AND(C3>=Headcount!$D$15,C3<=Headcount!$D$16),"Hired in Period",IF(AND(AC3>=Headcount!$D$15,AC3<=Headcount!$D$16),"Terminated in Period",IF(AC3<Headcount!$D$15,"Terminated in Prior Period",IF(C3>=Headcount!$D$15,"Future Period Hire","Active in Period")))))),"",IF(AND(C3>=Headcount!$D$15,AC3<=Headcount!$D$16),"Hired and Terminated in Period",IF(AND(C3>=Headcount!$D$15,C3<=Headcount!$D$16),"Hired in Period",IF(AND(AC3>=Headcount!$D$15,AC3<=Headcount!$D$16),"Terminated in Period",IF(AC3<Headcount!$D$15,"Terminated in Prior Period",IF(C3>=Headcount!$D$15,"Future Period Hire","Active in Period"))))))

Where $D$15 = 01/08/2020
$D$16 = 31/08/2020
C3 = Hire Date (03/08/2020)
AC3 = Termination Date (06/04/2020)

Upvote 0
What version of Excel are you using?
Please update your account details to show this, as it affects which functions you can use.

Upvote 0
Hi Fluff,

I've updated my details. I'm using Excel for Mac - part of Office 365. Version 16.39.

Thanks,

Sam

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snoom82

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back