New at Access, need to export named ranges from Excel to Access Database

r4ymond88

Hello guys,

I currently have a macro that inserts named ranges into a shared workbook, it is shared because I have different sales people inserting information onto it, each with their own user interface file which is a macro enabled excel.

My boss wants this to work instantly, as of right now every time the macro runs it takes a couple of minutes to finish. I'm fairly new to VBA and have learned what little skills I have by reading through forums and google.

To put things into context, this is for creating a quote database, the macro works as follows:

1. Cases Interface to make sure required fields are inserted otherwise it exits sub.
2. Removes sheet protection, disables events and screen updating.
3. Opens database workbook (shared excel file).
4. Goes to last value in column A which is a formula, copies it and pastes it in the next empty cell of column A. This is a simple way to generate a "quote number."
5. Goes back to user interface and pastes the new quote number.
6. Goes back to database and loops named ranges.
7. Goes back to user interface and copies dimensions for quote, which vary because we work with cargo.
8. Goes back to database and pastes dimensions into different sheet, each dimension has a reference number that's basically a concatenate of the quote# and the piece #, ie. quote # 30 and piece # 25 =30x25.
7. Saves workbook and closes it.
8. Goes back to user interface.
9. Copies sheet.
10. Creates temp file.
11. Pastes cells.
12. Sends e-mail via outlook.
13. Done.

Now for the counterpart, we actually have an interface of our own that works with lookups of the database by using the quote number that was generated to work on the quote and e-mail it back.

Now the issues I have are:
1. Excel is taking too long, probably because my code is rudimentary.
2. I would rather export the named ranges to Access but I've read a lot about doing this and am very confused.
3. If I export it to access I would need a different way to generate quote numbers and to also look up all the information on my user interface.

So if anyone could point me in the right direction in terms of exporting named cells into an access database which I've been told should work much quicker and has less possible issues, then I'd greatly appreciate it.

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
My boss wants this to work instantly, ...

That would be possible is you did it all in Access. I do lots of quoting systems in Access.

Your current method will be prone to issues and will probably never get very fast. It will probably on slow down as the amount of data increased in Excel.

Access is designed to handle multiple users and lots of records with speed. Relational Databases, like Access, have indexes to speed up data retrieval. Spreadsheet do not have this.

Sounds like you have outgrown Excel for this project.

Upvote 0
Hi HiTechCoach,

My first choice would have been access. But to be honest with you that would require getting licenses for at least 25 people and they are not willing to spend the money on this.

So this basically forces me to use Excel however I'm not sure on how to save the data on an access database which I read, wouldn't require all users to have access on their pcs.

I hate how they have ridiculous expectations out of excel.

Upvote 0
But to be honest with you that would require getting licenses for at least 25 people and they are not willing to spend the money on this. ... So this basically forces me to use Excel

Good news! You are really are not forced to use Excel based on licensing fees. No need to purchase 25 licenses of Access.

If all they need to do is run the database then you can use the free Access Runtme version. I have 100's of client that run my Access applcation and they have never purchased an Access license. Some have never even purchased any version of Microsoft Office.

Upvote 0
Interesting,

Thanks for the tip.

I managed to lighten up my excel version by turning it into a binary format, so I'll keep this as version 1 while I start learning how to build one in Access.

Cheers!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back