Noobie Question, Difficult VBA

ledl2048

I need help or suggestions on learning how to write these programs to simplify my work. I analyze data everyday and from the machine, it gets put on a server at my work. The files are txt files. I open the txt files, get the two columns of numbers, insert them into excel, and plot them on a graph. There may be 8 different files at a time that I am plotting, one by one. I made a template in excel but I would like to make a VBA where I could select multiple txt files and it would create graphs on a separate spreadsheet for me. Is this possible? I also need it to output values for each set that does a calculation using specific values in the txt files.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Looks like you started recording after you'd copied some data, since the first instruction is to paste (pastespecial). When you've run it again, had you any data in the clipboard to paste?

I just tried to do it again and I have two monitors to see what the VBA code is writing as I'm doing it and it does not show me going onto my server drive, selecting the file, opening the file, copying the data. It only shows me pasting it into excel.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
Try moving the workbook to your pc, then record the operation. You can substitute the server based location later. Although I don't know why the recorder isn't capturing your actions - when I try on a server based wb I get the full action.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan the procrastinator

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back