Novice needing help

bluetntmo

I want do do sometime I thing I thing should be quite easy but I cannot work out how to do it

I have asked 57 people a question so I have a column with yes or no against thier names

How do I work out a forula to give me an average??

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)

FormR

MrExcel MVP
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Welcome to the Forum.

Something like this, for example:

Excel Workbook
ABCD
1QuestionAvg
2YesYes62%
3NoNo38%
4Yes
5Yes
6Yes
7Yes
8Yes
9Yes
10No
11No
12No
13No
14Yes
Sheet1

ttdk1

Board Regular
Suppose you got a list of people's name from A2 to A99. Their response yes or no in B2 to B99. And the average for yes is in D2

Code:
=AVERAGE(--(B2:B99="yes"))

use ctrl+shift enter to make that an array formula

bluetntmo

Thanks FormR I adapted this to suit but why the $ symbols instead of just the range?

bluetntmo

ADVERTISEMENT

Thanks ttdk1 I tried that too but all I go was the number 1 (maybe because I don't know what and array formula is)

ttdk1

Board Regular
Thanks ttdk1 I tried that too but all I go was the number 1 (maybe because I don't know what and array formula is)

when you input the formula in the formula bar, instead of pressing enter to complete it, you hold down ctrl and shift then press enter instead.

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicky736

This Week's Hot Topics

• Change military grades into rank
    Afternoon all Need help with formula that will change military rank (i.e. 1, 2, 3 into Amn, A1C, SrA). Running IF formula that does not work...
  • VBA COUNTIF SOLUTION
    Hi The following are the errors spread across the several columns from E to Q ie. 13 columns across several sheets with more than 500 rows per...
  • INSERT ROW WITH SPECIFIS TEXT IN A COLUMN
    Hi All! How can identify that that the row to be inserted has to be inserted before 1st row with specific text in column F. If I record the...
  • Auto-Create a monthly Sign in sheet for preschool students
    The image below is what each page looks like. Above is space for the "Child Name" "Month" "Class" School days are obviously Monday-Friday but...
  • VBA vlookup multiple results
    Hi folks, Hopefully someone out there can help. I have a list to vlookup which works (ish). the lookup only picks up the first instance of the...
  • Extract values for earliest/latest times
    I am trying to put together a formula to get the earliest start time, the latest end time from column A for each person in Column B-F without the...