NPV? FV? IRR? Or....?

kellywy

Board Regular
I have a currency valuation problem that I can't seem to figure out which type of formula it needs (I've tried a couple and the numbers don't seem to come out right.) Was hoping if I tried to explain what I'm trying to do, someone with a much more mathematical-mind could help me figure it out! :) Here's the facts:

1) I need to make a choice between accepting a full cash settlement - or a part cash settlement, plus a set amount of future payments towards a monthly obligation (club dues) at a 10% discount (over a period of 12, 24, and 36 months).

2) Assuming that if I chose the a full cash settlement, I can earn interest on that amount at a rate of 7% per year. (I can calculate this number with a FV formula.)

3) On the "payments with discount" part of the settlement - assume the following cell numbers/figures:
A1: The initial cost of investment is $4,017.60. (sum of $111.60*36 months)
A2: The Annual Return on funds is $1,488.00. (monthly=$124)
A3: The 10% discount is applied to annual return of $1,488. (i.e., instead of having my monthly payments applied at $124 -- it will be applied at $111.60.)
A4:A39: List of months 1-36.

4) So my questions are:
(a) I'm trying to show on paper the best option to pick - but can't tell if this is a NPR, FV, IRR formula - or something else...?
(b) At what month during the 36 month period is my break-even between the two options? (i.e., accepting settlement of part cash/part discounted payment over 3 years, vs. all cash now with probable investment return of 7% per year)

I would SOO appreciate any help. My questions aren't usually this convoluted -- but now this one has me truly stumped!

Kelly

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aby2024

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back