Number of Coupons per year.

dowtym

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
This seems so simple, but I'm having a mental block. Given, Maturity Date, Purchase Date, and Period, what would be a good function or formula to return the number of payments in a specified year.
e.g. A CD with a maturity of 2/5/25, purchase/settlement date of 3/4/24, and monthly payments would have 2 payments/coupons in 2025 (maturity and 1/5/2025) and 10 payments in 2024. If the Period was semi-annual, you'd have one payment in 2025 (at maturity) and one payment in 2024 (8/5/24). If it was a zero-coupon, you'd have one payment at maturity in 2025 and zero payments in 2024.

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
Try COUPNUM although it doesn't have a monthly option.
Thanks...I'd thought of that but it was returning the total number of coupons and not coupons per any given year. I attempted to cheat the formula buy inserting a Max(12/31/2024,Date) into the maturity and Min(1/1/2024,Date) into the Settlement inputs and that worked. However, the limitation of not having monthly coupons was unfortunate. I then considered an IF statement to just count the months for a monthly coupon and use Coupnum for the rest. But it finally occurred to me that =ROUNDUP((MIN(Maturity Date,12/31/2024)-MAX(Settlement Date,1/1/2024))/(365/term),0) works for all inputs.. Term is 12 for monthly, 2 for semimonthly, etc.
It's not elegant, but it works. I guess 365 will be slighly inaccurate on leap years so I can tweak that later. Thanks for removing the mental roadblock.

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ghennedy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back