numbers and dates....

Tazzy666uk

Hi again, i am seeking some help once more please. I really do try and find answers myself, and thought this would be easier than it is!!

However, here I am as I cannot work it out.....

1st part:

I have lots of dates to type and currently enter xx/xx/xxxx or xx/xx/xx - both give me the result as xx/xx/xxxx which is what I need. but -

is there a way where I can just enter the numbers without the / and it auto transpose to a date? i.e. I enter 121123.... when I click enter it changes it to 12/11/2023? Currently the formatting in Column F is that it is set to 'Date DD/MM/YYYY'

2nd part:

A kind member helped me with this spreadsheet earlier, but now I have been tweaking it to suit my needs more, I wish to add another automation (or formatting?)

Currently I enter the dates manually in Column E which is fine.
I then enter the date manually in Column F. However, most of these dates will be Column E + 1 day, so I would like to format it to add it automatically.... I can then manually change it if need be. In my experimenting I got some weird and wonderful things coming up and none worked, but it also reminded me that I need the cell in Column F to be blank if there is no date in Column E

Hope that made sense.... If anyone could help, it would be so much appreciated

thank you again

Attachments

• del excel 2.jpg
    del excel 2.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 3

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
For Part 1, my work around would be to format those cells as TEXT from the HOME>>NUMBER dialog, choose Text.
Then after you have input all your dates use the Text to Columns tool on the data tab.

For the answer to part 2, in the second column (assuming starting at F2) type
Excel Formula:
=E2+1

Upvote 0
For Part 1, my work around would be to format those cells as TEXT from the HOME>>NUMBER dialog, choose Text.
Then after you have input all your dates use the Text to Columns tool on the data tab.

For the answer to part 2, in the second column (assuming starting at F2) type
Excel Formula:
=E2+1
Hi awoohaw, thank you for helping.

Re the first part, i was wondering if there was a 'magic' formula that would have done it automatically. I am purely being lazy! However, I enter dates daily and continually and would prefer them them to look as needed, so it might just be that I enter them with the / as it will probably take me longer with the workaround.... I will try it though

Re the second part... i did that before asking here and I get the result in the attachment. If i add the formula to the cell in F, It seems to put an odd date automatically if it is blank.... It does become correct if I enter a date in Column E, but I would like F to be blank if E is blank. Please ignore Column G... that is full of formatting but will go correct if F is correct or blank....

Thank You

Attachments

• del excel 3.jpg
    del excel 3.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 3
Upvote 0
For part 1. Select the range. Format as TEXT.
enter the data without slashes.
Select the range, DATA>>Text To Columns, select MDY or DMY. enter.
A lot less time than inputting all the slashes you seem to want to avoid.

for Part 2:
Excel Formula:
=IF(E2="","",E2+1)

Upvote 1
Solution
For part 1. Select the range. Format as TEXT.
enter the data without slashes.
Select the range, DATA>>Text To Columns, select MDY or DMY. enter.
A lot less time than inputting all the slashes you seem to want to avoid.

for Part 2:
Excel Formula:
=IF(E2="","",E2+1)
Ah perfect thank you very much....

tried the part 1 workaround and that is quicker thank you.... have never previously used the text to columns feature myself.....every day's a school day :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Hughes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back