Numbers as text

LearnNewThings

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a Microsoft form writing directly to an excel sheet. Unfortunately, as we all know, we can only submit "text," but use the restriction in the form to allow only numbers. This causes the values to be stored in the excel sheet as text. I have equations and pivot tables (with pivot charts) that need these values to be stored as a number. Currently, I manually convert them all to numbers, but this is not an easy process to hand over to someone else and, quite frankly, is a pain to manage myself (sometimes the responses are scattered throughout the worksheet, so there is a chance I may miss a conversion). I have two questions that I am hoping to get an answer to.
1. Is there an elegant way to build out my equations and modify my pivot table/charts that use the number stored as text without requiring me (or someone else) going into the raw data and converting it all to number?
2. Is there an equation I can create that looks at the raw data and lets me know if there are any unconverted cells? (this will help me ensure I have converted all to number, assuming there is not a clean answer to #1). I have tried counting statements, but it doesn't work as countif doesn't see a "number stored as text" as text.

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
Can you use VBA?
VBA can pretty easily convert all the text values to numbers.

Upvote 0
The most elegant way to make sure a number is a number in your formulas is to precede the equation with --

You can use this macro to convert text numbers to values. Highlight the range and run this. I use a Ribbon button linked to a macro in my PERSONAL workbook.

VBA Code:
Sub ConvertToNumber()
  Selection.NumberFormat = "General"
  Selection.Value = Selection.Value2
End Sub

Upvote 0
I have a Microsoft form writing directly to an excel sheet. Unfortunately, as we all know, we can only submit "text," but use the restriction in the form to allow only numbers. This causes the values to be stored in the excel sheet as text. I have equations and pivot tables (with pivot charts) that need these values to be stored as a number. Currently, I manually convert them all to numbers, but this is not an easy process to hand over to someone else and, quite frankly, is a pain to manage myself (sometimes the responses are scattered throughout the worksheet, so there is a chance I may miss a conversion). I have two questions that I am hoping to get an answer to.
1. Is there an elegant way to build out my equations and modify my pivot table/charts that use the number stored as text without requiring me (or someone else) going into the raw data and converting it all to number?
2. Is there an equation I can create that looks at the raw data and lets me know if there are any unconverted cells? (this will help me ensure I have converted all to number, assuming there is not a clean answer to #1). I have tried counting statements, but it doesn't work as countif doesn't see a "number stored as text" as text.
I don't think I can use VBA, as converting the file from an Excel workbook to a macro-enabled will break the link between the MS form and the workbook (at least that's what I understand)

Upvote 0
Seems to me you can create a macro to evaluate the numbers and convert them in a separate workbook. You can either use PERSONAL or just create another workbook.

My client doesn't want a macro workbook for our main costing tool. I just created a macro workbook that does all the importing into that costing tool.

Upvote 1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back