Numbring unsorted summaries

snd

I get these catering summaries monthly, but each month the summaries' sheets are scrambled:
Column B:
Accounting Dept.
HR
Legal
Engineering
Sub Contractors
Guests
Operations
Maint.
Clinic
Admin.
Supply Chain
Etc.
Column C:
Figures (total number) of meals provided.
I do the job as the following:
In Column A is the heading Serial#, Col. "B" Cost Center, Col. "C", Total No. of meals.
For example, this month, I received the summaries in a box file: "Legal" summary was on top, "Accounting" beneth it, etc.
I'd scroll down to Legal Dept, and number it 1, move right twice, and key in its total number of meals. Then I"ll scroll up to "Accounting", and number it 2, etc. Then at the end, I sort the table ascending for Col. "A", to organize the summaries as received.
My question:
Is there a way for srl.#s in Col. "A" to be numbered automatically. Say, for "Legal Dept.", I'd just enter its total no. in Col. "C", and srl# "1" will show in Col. "A", then "Accounting Dept." will show "2" after I enter its total no. Then, I'll just copy-value the formulae in Col. "A", and sort.
I'd really appreciate your help, as I sometimes forget to enter the srl#.:rolleyes:
Thank you in advance.
Sanad (snd).:giggle:

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
Create a list of dept names and serial numbers elsewhere then use vlookup to fill column A.

Upvote 0
Create a list of dept names and serial numbers elsewhere then use vlookup to fill column A.
Thank you jasonb75 for the reply.
I see what you mean. But, those summaries I talked about are only for one site. Our company has four sites. (4 box files + 1 box for back charging some sub contractors personnel who are not covered), each has its own operating departments, (except for Accts, HR, obviously). i.e., each site has its own facilities (depts.): Eng., Production, Operation, Exploration, Clinic, Admin., W'hse,Training, Maintenance, Cars Shop,...
Is it possible to do the srl# of summaries automatically?
If not, I'll just do it as you cordially suggested.
Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Based on the information that you have provided I see no reason why it shouldn't still work.

A formula is automatic once you have filled the table.

Reactions: snd
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back