Object doesn't support this property or method-selection.paste

Dustywrinklemen

Here is part of my code. I want it to select the value in the next column over if the original value meet the criteria.

Sub Macro1()
Range("d4").Select
Do
If Selection.Value < 13 Then
ActiveCell.Offset(0, -1).Select
Selection.Copy
Sheets("ela sgo").Select
Range("M1").Paste
Else
Selection.Offset(1, 0).Select
End If
Loop

End Sub

I am getting the error (object doesn't support this property or method) for Selection.paste

Probably an easy fix or something's wrong with the top part but I'm new to all this, help!

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
try Range("M1").PasteSpecial
or
Code:
Sub Macro1()
Range("d4").Select
Do
   If Selection.Value < 13 Then
         ActiveCell.Offset(0, -1).Copy Sheets("ela sgo").Range("M1")
   Else
         Selection.Offset(1, 0).Select
   End If
Loop
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Welcome to the board! :)

I don't think it's necessary to loop. You can use a filter to grab all values > 13 and then paste the adjoining range values to the destination in one hit.

Also, you paste operation would keep overwriting M1 in the "ela sgo" sheet, essentially leaving you with the last item only.

Perhaps;
Code:
Public Sub Demo()
    Dim rngToCheck As Excel.Range
    Dim rngCell As Excel.Range

With ActiveSheet
        'try to refer to the range explicitly rather than loop through EVERYTHING
        'include the label so that we can use AutoFilter method to grab all values in one hot
        Set rngToCheck = .Range("D3:D" & .Range("D" & .Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row)
        .AutoFilterMode = False
    End With

'use AutoFilter to grab all values > 13 and then paste results in one hit
    With rngToCheck
        Call .AutoFilter(Field:=1, Criteria1:=">13")
        Call .Offset(1, -1).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeVisible).Copy(Destination:=Sheets("ela sgo").Range("M1"))
        Call .AutoFilter
    End With
End Sub

Upvote 0
Jon, I tried using the code you provided and got a compile error: named argument not found. I'm not sure if I wrote it in wrong but I double checked to make sure it was exactly as written and it looked fine. The problem is a lot of codes in that are way above my knowledge of VBA. Perhaps you know of an online course or set of videos that's worth checking out? I've found another thread on Mr. Excel but it had about 5000 recommendations and I was a bit overwhelmed.

Patel45, I tried you suggestion and it took an extremely long time to calculate what is a pretty small amount of data and left me with only one value in the M1 spot (as Jon mentioned).

Basically what I want to do is check a column of numbers, see if they meet a criteria. If they do I want to copy the corresponding name two columns over and paste that value in a specific spot on another sheet.

Thanks both for taking time on this!

Upvote 0
My code seems good but I confess I haven't tested it. I'll test it later when I am back on my machine. In the meantime please let me know what line the code breaks on when you execute it.

Also, what range does the numbers occupy (column D, but what rows)...?

Upvote 0
I entered d3:d100 as the range it should filter through. It appears to be working now (no error messages) but no values are pasted on the "ela sgo" sheet.

Upvote 0
I haven't tested the code but have you changed Jon's >13 to your <13

Upvote 0
The code worked great! It was my fault because the values that were being copied were a concatenate function, and were thus pulling nothing in the other sheet. Once I pasted that cell range as values it worked. Thanks everybody!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeremy_bp001

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back