ODBC Drivers for End Users

CPGDeveloper

Board Regular
Hi All~

So I have an Access Application that is using Azure SQL Server as a Back End. I'm connecting through an ODBC Driver that none of the end users have currently. As far as I understand, every end user would need this driver installed on their individual machines. Is that true? Is there any way around this?

I currently have a batch scripts that updates the front end on everyone's desktops every time I update the application -- maybe I can include the appropriate .dll driver files when I do this and place them in the correct directories? Or is it more complicated than that?

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
I think drivers need to be "installed". It may be possible to put more of the connection and actually data access in the back end... not sure (may be too late depending on your setup now). Good news is that you would only have to install the driver once.

Upvote 0
Hmmm....are you suggesting if I split the database, where the front end is linked to back end tables in another access database, but all the tables in the back end access database are linked to SQL? Would that mean the front end user would not need the odbc driver?

We could just install the driver on the server where the back end resides?

Upvote 0
That might be possible. How many users do you have?

Upvote 0
That might be possible. How many users do you have?
At the moment, no more than 20, but we are getting push back from the powers that be about installing odbc drivers for everyone. So I was looking for a way around it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back