'OLE DB or ODBC error: [Expression.Error] The value "" cannot be converted to the Table..'

asimpleaccountant

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,

I'm pulling xml data from a folder using Power Bi Desktop.

When I have expanded all the columns in PowerQuery, I get the following error message when trying to apply the query changes.

The changes could not be saved to the server. Error returned: 'OLE DB or ODBC error: [Expression.Error] The value "" cannot be converted to the Table..'.

I can't figure out what kind of value "" can be.

The folder is contained on a local network path, and contains various file extension: for expanding only the .xml files i actually filter only the ".xml" in the column extension.

I already tried to remove empty and error value in the column without any success, and can't really find any similar problem in other communities.

Has anyone else come across this error message?

Please, tell me if any additional information can help in solving this issue,

Thanks in advance,

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
Hi all,

I solved this problem and I'll post here in the hope that it will be of help to someone.

First, I started to expand from the beginning of the query the columns and locate which column was causing the issue.

Second, i removed the passage where I expand the problematic column and i added a custom column which has this function:

Table.AddColumn(#"Problematic Column", "NameNewColumn", each if [#"ProblematicColumn"] is table then "
" else if [#"ProblematicColumn"] is record then "[Record]" else if [#"ProblematicColumn"] is list then "
  • " else if [#"ProblematicColumn"] is function then "[Function]" else [#"ProblematicColumn"])

• Third, i used filter in the "NameNewColum" trying to locate if there was any other values besides [Tabel] and I actually found that there was some rows without any kind of values (note that the column quality tools always reported 100% valid values). I proceeded to filter only the table values then.

Fourth, i proceeded to expand the problematic column with the above filter applied and then the error does not show up anymore.

Hopefully this will be helpful for someone in the future,

E

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back