Only VBA does not recognize non-English characters

Tom951

Hello guys,

I have a new laptop with Windows 8.1 bought in the USA and I'm having a difficulties with Excel VBA (Office 365 University-64x bought in the Czech Republic - Central Europe). The VBA does not recognize non-English characters (particularly "ř" and "ů") which causes me problem when running some codes that I wrote earlier on my previous laptop (Windows 7, bought in the Czech Republic with the same Office).
The problem with non-English characters has occurred only in VBA so far, otherwise I can use these characters normally in Excel cells, Word... I tried to install both English and Czech version of the Office with no change, I also installed Czech proofreading tools and set everything to Czech in the Office. The location and language preferences in the Windows are also set up to Czech. And it is not a problem of a font. I also mentioned that when I tried to look up these characters, using Ctrl+F, it changes original ř to r after a search and again this is only an issue of the VBA.

Thank you very much for any help.
Tom

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
Hi Tom
Welcome to the board

The vba editor only accepts ascii characters.

To use any Unicode character, for ex.:
- write them in cells and read them from vba
- use their codes and compose the strings in vba
- store the strings in names

If you have a lot of strings, the first option is much quick and easier. You can use a worksheet to store the strings, that you'll hide from the users.

Upvote 0
Hi PGC,

thank you for welcoming me on the board.
There must be a way how to set a coding, or something else, to accept the non-English characters because my older laptop as well as three other computers at my work are able to read them with no problems.

Tom

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fcarfagna

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back