Option Explicit - Declarations

ElvisSteel

Board Regular
Hi,
Several people on this board have recommended that I alway use Option Explicit in my VB code (via the Tools, Options, Require Variable Declaration option)

Firstly, what is the thinking behind this (or what are the implications of not doing this?)

Secondly, When I have a lot of code, I tend to use multiple Modules to group macros together under a common theme. Often I use the same variables in multiple modules, and is there a way of "globally" declaring a variable (perhaps in a single module that contains only these declarations)

These probably seem like dumb questions, but I am quite happy to convert my code to work this way, but I want to ensure that I do this in the most efficient way.

Thanks

Steve

Jon, thanks for the reference - very useful
Hermanito, thanks for the coding advice.

However I'm still confused as to how best to declare variables that are ranges when using Option Explicit.

I'm using
Code:
Public ResourceTable as Range
Is this, plus the Set statement as per Hermanitos response the best way to do this?

What is your advice generally on declaring variables that are used in multiple modules, declare them each time or once as Public?

Thanks again for your help and advice, it is invaluable

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
Declaring variables using option explicit isn't any different from declaring without. you always have to set a range if you plan to do something with it during the routine.

If you're going to use a particular variable in multiple modules then it's probably a good time saving tip to declare them just once, it's also neater and less confusing.

Upvote 0
Just to summarise:

Always, without exception, use Option Explicit in VBA code. You should have an Option Explicit statement at the top of every code module.

In the VBE you can go to Tools > Options > Editor tab and tick the "Require Variable Declaration" checkbox. This will mean that, going forward, Option Explicit statements will be automatically added to new code modules for you.

Option Explicit forces you to explicitly declare your variables. Without it, implicit variable declaration is possible. This is where VBA creates variables behind the scenes for you. For example, in this code:
Code:
Sub foo()

number1 = 1
    number2 = 2

MsgBox number1 + nubmer2

End Sub
The message box gives us "1".

Three Variant type variables are implicitly created:
  • number1
  • number2
  • nubmer2 (obviously a typo)

The benefits of having Option Explicit and correctly declaring your variables with the most appropriate data types quickly become clear:
  • It improves your knowledge as a VBA programmer because you gain a better understanding of how code works
  • Typos in your code are identified at compile time. Typos can be very hard to spot when debugging, so this will save you hours of headaches.
  • It will also make it easier to avoid or identify other bugs in your code in a variety of situations
  • Variant types, as a general rule of thumb, will make your code run more slowly. If you are explicitly declaring your variables as more appropriate data types such as a Range, a String, a Long Integer, rather than having all your variables implicitly declared as variants, will mean that your code will run more quickly. There are, of course, situations where Variant types are entirely appropriate.
There are no valid disadvantages to using Option Explicit.
What is your advice generally on declaring variables that are used in multiple modules, declare them each time or once as Public?
Are we talking about a range reference which is genuinely shared by all the procedures in those modules?

I suspect you have a situation that's like this:
Code:
Option Explicit
Sub foo1()

Dim rngCell As Range

For Each rngCell In Range("B1:B3")
        Debug.Print VBA.CStr(rngCell.Value)
    Next rngCell

End Sub

Sub foo2()
    Dim rngCell As Range

For Each rngCell In Range("A1:A3")
    Next rngCell

End Sub
Both the procedures have a Range type variable called rngCell so you are asking if you should use this instead?
Code:
Option Explicit

Dim rngCell As Range

Sub foo1()

For Each rngCell In Range("B1:B3")
    Next rngCell

End Sub

Sub foo2()

For Each rngCell In Range("A1:A3")
    Next rngCell

End Sub
In this sort of scenario, my answer is no: variable scope should be minimised, and these two Range variables really have nothing to do with each other (the only common point is they are both the same type), so you should stick with the first version.

Hope that helps...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back