Over a million extra rows... I've tried everything

ilikered100

I have a complex workbook template which has all of a sudden added over a milliion extra rows on each worksheet. I've tried everything I know of to delete them and nothing seems to work. For reasons I won't go into, it's not going to work for me to copy and paste the information into a new worksheet or it will take a massive amount of time as the sheets are inter-related with a lot of complex depency from one sheet to another.

No matter what I do, I still have 1048327 number of rows on most of the sheets. Any help is greatly appreciated

Here's what I've tried so far which has not worked:
1. Control-Shift -down Selecting empty rows, then Right-click-delete. The same number of rows still appear.
2. Selecting Rows and then using the Delete - Entire Row option in the menu bar.
3. Go To Special and then Selecting Blanks and Right Click Delete
4. This VBA Code:

Sub ResetUsedRange()
Dim sht As Worksheet
Dim lng As Long
For Each sht In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets
lng = sht.UsedRange.Rows.Count
Next
End Sub

Thanks,
Carolyn

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
In the new file formats there are always 1048576 rows.

Upvote 0
So you are not getting error when deleting the cells using CNTL-SHIFT-DOWN? Have you then tried to save the book straight after doing it? Maybe then even then closing and reopening the book. That definitely works sometimes.

Upvote 0
I did get an error message when I tried deleting the rows with Control-Shift-Down... It said not enough availabel resources, so i went to down to row 1,000,000 and tried deleting the rows from that number down, but even after deleting them they showed.

I also saved the file and closed it and re-opened it... the rows are still there.

Upvote 0
Like rory said the rows will still be there. Im presuming you mean excel thinks the last used row is row 1048576?

Upvote 0
>>Im presuming you mean excel thinks the last used row is row 1048576?
Yes... some of the worksheets have 1048576 rows and there a few that only have a few hundred rows. The spreadsheet is so large with the recognized extra rows that it takes a few minutes to open and seems unstable for lack of a better word.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Subhash Chand

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back