Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Mobile
Merry Christmas to all at Mr Excel,
Hope you're working as hard as I am over the festive/holiday season :LOL:

Trying to write a few ODBC queries into an old IBM AS/400 / iSeries server. It's all gone well using fixed values, but now I'm trying to add in some variables, it's getting a bit more troublesome!

In short, the dates are stored on the AS400 in the format of YYMMDD, so if I code 28-Dec-17 as

"select clntth, trdtth, trf2th, commth, sdsccd, pal#th, dtcdth, trnqth, srb#th, sri#th, IPALPM, PLTPPM from warhist as T01" & Chr(13) & "" & Chr(10) & "left outer join warpall on warpall.pal#pm = T01.pal#th and warpall.commpm = " _ , _
"t01.commth" & Chr(13) & "" & Chr(10) & "INNER JOIN WARCMDT ON WARCMDT.CLNTCD = T01.CLNTTH and WARCMDT.CommCD = T01.commTH" & Chr(13) & "" & Chr(10) & "" & Chr(13) & "" & Chr(10) & "where clntth = 'D4' and trdtth = 171228 and trncth in (' 31', ' 51', ' 52', ' 53')" _
)

It works fine, yet if I set it as a variable:

dat3 = format(now() - 2, "YYMMDD")

"select clntth, trdtth, trf2th, commth, sdsccd, pal#th, dtcdth, trnqth, srb#th, sri#th, IPALPM, PLTPPM from warhist as T01" & Chr(13) & "" & Chr(10) & "left outer join warpall on warpall.pal#pm = T01.pal#th and warpall.commpm = " _
, _
"t01.commth" & Chr(13) & "" & Chr(10) & "INNER JOIN WARCMDT ON WARCMDT.CLNTCD = T01.CLNTTH and WARCMDT.CommCD = T01.commTH" & Chr(13) & "" & Chr(10) & "" & Chr(13) & "" & Chr(10) & "where clntth = 'D4' and trdtth = dat3 and trncth in (' 31', ' 51', ' 52', ' 53')" _
)

I get an overflow error, so I tried CInt;

Patch = format(now() - 2, "YYMMDD")
dat3 = CInt(patch)

"select clntth, trdtth, trf2th, commth, sdsccd, pal#th, dtcdth, trnqth, srb#th, sri#th, IPALPM, PLTPPM from warhist as T01" & Chr(13) & "" & Chr(10) & "left outer join warpall on warpall.pal#pm = T01.pal#th and warpall.commpm = " _
, _
"t01.commth" & Chr(13) & "" & Chr(10) & "INNER JOIN WARCMDT ON WARCMDT.CLNTCD = T01.CLNTTH and WARCMDT.CommCD = T01.commTH" & Chr(13) & "" & Chr(10) & "" & Chr(13) & "" & Chr(10) & "where clntth = 'D4' and trdtth = dat3 and trncth in (' 31', ' 51', ' 52', ' 53')" _
)

Yet I get an overflow error again - which seems to be related to using a string sa integer or vice-versa.

Anyone able to advise?
Thanks,
Steven

Last edited:

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
I tried CLng too, but I get an error when trying to referesh the query, which suggests the SQL syntax is wrong.

Dat3 shows as 171228 without "" so integer.

Im really at a loss

Upvote 0
Doh!

Wasn't ending the SQL syntax to use the variable!!!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CodeCybear

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back