Overtime based on weekends AND holidays

rockson

Hi guys,
I am trying to create a time sheet for my wife in which there are 2 columns, where I struggle to get the right data when there is working time on holiday.
My sheet looks like this:
2024-04-28_08h23_59.jpg

A - date (1.4.2024)
B - working time from
C - working time till
D - working time sum
E - total working time sum
F - difference to 8hrs workday, taking into consideration all overtime, but only when monday to friday (without weekend AND holidays)--> formula used, which works fine for workdays and weekends: =IF(WEEKDAY(A28;2)>5;0;($E28-$M$3-G28-H28)). Here I would need additional check, whether the date is a holiday or not (1.4.2024 was easter). If weekend OR holiday, than this cell should be empty or zero.
G - overtime weekdays - formula used: =IF(WEEKDAY(A28;2)<6;IF(E28>8;E28-$M$3;0);0) --> works fine, when there is no holiday. Here I would need additional check, whether the date is a holiday or not. If weekend OR holiday, than this cell should be empty or zero.
H - overtime weekends/holidays - formula used: =IF(WEEKDAY(A28;2)>5;E28;0) --> works fine for weekends. Here I would need additional check, whether the date is a holiday or not. If weekend OR holiday, than this cell should get the value from E column.

I have separate sheet for all holidays, called "Prazniki":
2024-04-28_08h09_35.jpg

I hope you can help me, cause I have been at this for hours.
Thank you

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
@rockson See if the below helps.
I have typically used ISNA(MATCH(A28,Prazniki!$B$3:$B$20,0)) yo determine if date is on the holiday list or not.
Substitute my text strings with your required formula calls.
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
F28,F30,F32,F34,F36,F38,F40,F42,F44,F46,F48F28=IF(OR(WEEKDAY(A28,2)>5,NOT(ISNA(MATCH(A28,Prazniki!$B$3:$B$20,0)))),"Weekend or Holiday","Normal Working")
G28,G30,G32,G34,G36,G38,G40,G42,G44,G46,G48G28=IF(AND(WEEKDAY(A28,2)<6,ISNA(MATCH(A28,Prazniki!$B$3:$B$20,0))),"Normal Working","Weekend or Holiday")

Upvote 1
@Snakehips Thank you for your help.
Your strings do work as they are, but how do I additional insert:
F column --> (E28-$M$3-G28-H28) instead of "Normal Working"? I tried --> =IF(OR(WEEKDAY(A28;2)>5;NOT(ISNA(MATCH(A28:Prazniki!$B$3:$B$20;0))));0;($E28-$M$3-G28-H28)) which always returned empty cell, no matter whether weekdays or weekend/holiday.

G column --> (E28>8;E28-$M$3) instead of "Normal Working"? I tried --> =IF(AND(WEEKDAY(A28;2)<6;ISNA(MATCH(A28;Prazniki!$B$3:$B$20;0)))+IF(E28>8;E28-$M$3;0)*E28-$M$3;0) which always returned 0 no matter whether weekdays or weekend/holiday.

Upvote 0
I'm struggling to see your intended logic with G but try below with F and see if it helps.
Excel Formula:
 =IF(OR(WEEKDAY(A28;2)>5;NOT(ISNA(MATCH(A28,Prazniki!$B$3:$B$20,0))));(E28-$M$3-G28-H28);0)

Upvote 1
I'm struggling to see your intended logic with G but try below with F and see if it helps.
Excel Formula:
 =IF(OR(WEEKDAY(A28;2)>5;NOT(ISNA(MATCH(A28,Prazniki!$B$3:$B$20,0))));(E28-$M$3-G28-H28);0)
This string for F works, just had to invert data for true and false. Thanks a lot.

About G: Apart from defining if it is a workday or not, I have to check, if the value in E is greater than 8 (more than 8 working hours). If it is, then the string should return value (E28-$M$3) --> M3 being the value of 8 working hours. It could also be (E28-8), but if the normal working hours get changed, than it is easier for me, to change only value in M3, rather than in the string. If the value in E28 is smaller or equal 8, than the cell should stay empty or 0.

I hope it helps.

Upvote 0
Try.
Excel Formula:
=IF(AND(WEEKDAY(A28;2)<6;ISNA(MATCH(A28;Prazniki!$B$3:$B$20;0));E28>8);E28-$M$3;0)

Upvote 1
Try.
Excel Formula:
=IF(AND(WEEKDAY(A28;2)<6;ISNA(MATCH(A28;Prazniki!$B$3:$B$20;0));E28>8);E28-$M$3;0)
It works (y) Thx a lot.

Now I have just one additional question, regarding column H. This column is similar to G, but here I need the value from F, if it is weekend/holiday. I tried to adapt your string for G and used
Excel Formula:
=IF(AND(WEEKDAY(A50;2)<6;ISNA(MATCH(A50;Prazniki!$B$3:$B$20;0));E50>8);E50-$M$3;0)
And it works just fine as long the value in F is greater than 8. If it is smaller or equal 8, than it returnes the value from F even if it is a workday. Example from my sheet:
2024-04-28_19h06_26.jpg

Weekend (blue) is ok, as is row 58, as the value in F is greater than 8. All other F values are smaller than 8.
If it is a workday, the value in H should always be 0, if it is weekend/holiday, than the value from E should be entered.

I am really sorry to bother you so much :cry:

Upvote 0
I'm confused. Is E being > 8 relevant in H formula?
Does the below statement fully describe the logic for H ?

If it is a workday, the value in H should always be 0, if it is weekend/holiday, than the value from E should be entered.

Upvote 0
I'm confused. Is E being > 8 relevant in H formula?
Does the below statement fully describe the logic for H ?
That statement is accurate. That is why I am also confused, why I get a value for workday returned, if the value in E is lower or equal to 8. If if is greater than 8. than I get no value entered, which is correct, but can+t figre out, why this is not the case if the value in E ist 8 or lower. 🤷‍♂️

Upvote 0
Based purely on that statement, I take it that the value of E compared to 8 has no relevance in H. Also reference you made in post#7 about F compared to 8 can be ignored.
Hence value in H is just dependant upon whether it is a weekday so = 0 or w non weekday so = value in E

So, try....
Excel Formula:
=IF(AND(WEEKDAY(A28;2)<6;ISNA(MATCH(A28;Prazniki!$B$3:$B$20;0));E28);0;E28)

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BBV123

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back