Overtime calc on Timesheet

ricjen

From previous very helpful posts (thanks again guys) I have been using very successfully for almost 1 year the

" =(C2 >D2)*MEDIAN(0,D2-1/4,1/2)+MAX(0,MIN(3/4,D2+(C2 >D2))-MAX(1/4,C2)) "

approach to sort out Day/Night Hours. Its bomb proof!

A new situation demands overtime payments......start and finish time can be any time day or night (crap job!), overtime is payable after 8 hours. Thus I have day (0600-1800) standard rate, day (0600-1800) overtime rate, night (1800-0600) standard rate, night (1800-0600) overtime rate.

So, starting at 1400 and finishing at 0100 give 4 hours day std + 4 hours std night + 3 hours night o/time; whereas starting at 0200 and finishing at 1300 gives 4 hours std night + 4 hours day std + 3 hours day o/time.

Any ideas how I can automate this please?? I'm using Excel 2003 and 2007 so use the Excel 97-2003 format. Thanks in anticipation of your help.

Richard J

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
the overall logic is totally beyond me...I'm just grateful for barry houdini!
I think I can work out most of it - what is stumping me is the formula for day - what does the very first bit do. if you break it up it brings back the statement TRUE but how does that calculate with the MEDIAN formula?

I am hoping that Barry Houdini will return with an answer.

Upvote 0
Hello Kirnon,

The original formula I posted for ricjen was one I'd worked on previously, I modified it here for the specific circumstances.

In this part

=(C2>D2)*MEDIAN(0,D2-K$2,K$3-K$2)

the (C2>D2) returns TRUE or FALSE as you say. When you multiply TRUE by something it becomes 1 (FALSE is zero) so it's the equivalent of this IF function

=IF(C2>D2,MEDIAN(0,D2-K$2,K$3-K$2),0)

I just used the former to save a few characters....

If you want anything else explained let me know. I could do the whole thing but it might take some time :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aaahh..... I get it - I thought it might be an IF replacement but I was just guessing.

I will try and work it out by myself because that way I can ingrain it better - btw the formula is exactly what I need too. I am just trying to get my FormBox to increment the cell values of that and I will be done.

Upvote 0
Amazing effort Barry,

Anybody got an answer for 2 shifts? eg

Start1 | End1 | Start2 | End 2 | Std day | Std night | OT day | OT night |

believe me I tried...

dr

Upvote 0
Welcome to the forum,

Amazing effort Barry, ricjen, Kirnon and rbrhodes

Gilberto - Brasil

Upvote 0
Welcome to the forum

I need to adappt the formulas from Barry Houdini to work with two shifts, with a rest interval, being the rest during the day or during the night.
Overtime is payable after 8 hours.

Gilberto - Brasil

Upvote 0
Welcome to the forum,

Amazing effort Barry, ricjen, Kirnon and rbrhodes

Gilberto - Brasil

I doubt if this is being viewed by any of the above, as the post is so old. Why not post a new question? I'm new too so it's just a suggestion.

via Google Translate: Duvido que isso está sendo visto por qualquer um dos acima, como o post é tão velho. Por que não postar uma nova pergunta? Eu sou novo demais, por isso é apenas uma sugestão.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBFrieds

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back