Page Layout>>Background Error "Bad Request - Request Too Long"

rwleighjr

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
As soon as I click the Background icon under Page Layout, I'm getting an "HTTP Error 400. The size of the request is too long."

Using Excel 365/Windows 10. Problem shows up on both of my PCs. I have Norton 360 with the Driver Update and VPN add-ons on both. This problem only appeared about a month ago which was about the time I added the two Norton features. Coincidence?? I checked forum questions first before posting this.

Thank you.

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
First, let me say I haven't seen this, so this is just an educated guess.

When you click that icon, I suspect that Excel is making an http call to something. The reason I think that is that it pauses briefly before showing the menu (see image below, which flashes for just a fraction of a second). It seems possible that Norton does not like the idea of Excel doing that. That error is generally caused by an http header field that is too long. Beyond that I don't know what the problem could be, whether Norton is involved, or how to fix it. A wild guess would be to make configure Norton to allow Excel to make outgoing http requests. The other thing to try is to back out those add-ons.

1702264819828.png

Upvote 0
Thank you, Thomas. I've decided to just uninstall all of Norton and replace it with something else. I'm just hoping I don't have to reinstall Excel.

I appreciate you getting back to me so quickly.

Upvote 0
This issue was resolved by uninstalling Microsoft 365 and then reinstalling. Hurrah! I was actually able to figure this out. I hope this can help someone else on this great forum who has this problem. I'm just excited I was finally able to make a contribution after all these years!

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aides

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back