Pairing people from different groups

PairingPeople

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
I have a list of names that I would like to pair up, but across groups so that people within the same group do not get matched. A person also cannot match with himself. (If possible i can make pairs multiple times and 2 people cannot pair more than once together. I hope this makes sense. Is there a way of doing this in Excel please?

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
No I don't know what you are asking. Can you share an example of your data?

Upvote 0
I don't know if this is a hard thing to do. The pairing with more rounds and not getting the same pairs is the hardest I assume. So this is optional. If I use this in real life with more names the change of getting the same pair twice is small.

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2022-10-28 om 12.28.16.png
    Schermafbeelding 2022-10-28 om 12.28.16.png
    191.5 KB · Views: 13
Upvote 0
The solution depends on how you want the people paired. It's easiest if you decide that the first pairing will must depts 1 and 2 together and 3 and 4 and the next pairing is 1 and 3 and 2 and 4, etc. If that's the case, you can easily use RAND() for each of the people and match the lowest numbers together, next lowest, etc. That can be accomplished by sorting the data or using LARGE() or SMAL(). Does any of that make sense?

Upvote 0
Yes I am aware of that function. But I was wondering if there was a way that Excel kan just choose 2 random names from any collum. The only rule is that it can't be 2 names from the same collum.

Upvote 0
I guess to answer your question, there is not an out of the box formula to do that, but there are several ways you could do a combination of formulas to do it. I'll come up with one as I have time.

Upvote 0
I guess to answer your question, there is not an out of the box formula to do that, but there are several ways you could do a combination of formulas to do it. I'll come up with one as I have time.
That would be great!

Upvote 0
I don't know if this is a hard thing to do. The pairing with more rounds and not getting the same pairs is the hardest I assume. So this is optional. If I use this in real life with more names the change of getting the same pair twice is small.
Maybe also possible: put all the names in collum A, the department in collum B. Then a formule that matches anyone 2 names from collum A but collum B can’t be the same value. Maybe that is easier?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcschafer209

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back