password protection, how strong it is?

donalde

Board Regular
Hi

I am on planning phase of new sales tool in this company. Now I am wondering how strong Access password protection is? I tried to seach this forum,but didn't find answer.

And as I googled, there seems to be tens, maybe hundreds of sites / tools which claim to open password protection.

As new planned tool will contain all information in password protected databases, you might understand my consern on strenght of protection. I plan to use max lenght password (20 chars?) So how strong this protection is,and how hard it is really to open?

Are there other ways to get better protection for my database?

I plan to use access databases with .NET code, using code like this:
Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" & file & ";Jet OLEDB:Database Password="password"

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
As you have seen from google, there are definitely ways to get into an access database if the desire is there.

Most of the password/security in access is there as a deterrent/end user protection scenario.

I guess it depends on if this is for user deterrent or you need security due to the data it holds and if the wrong person were to get to it.

If it is just a user deterrent, access may be enough combined with HR/IT policies regarding unauthorized access. If it is because the data needs to be protected, access may not be the optimal solution.

If you really do need high quality/robust security you may want to step up to a commercial level product (SQL Server, etc) If a small workgroup will be using, you may want to check out the MSDE/SQL Server Express. It has all the features and security of SQL Server, but has a few use restrictions(ie the number of concurrent users).

Upvote 0
Problem is that planned new tool will be stand alone, so files are on local users computer. This is needes as users don't have internet connection or it is very very slow.

Wrong person to access data would be hands of some one from rival companies (and there are many of those, as company I am working is truly international).

So, any other tricks to secure my data?

Upvote 0
Since you are using .Net you might be able to employ some type of encryption in the .Net frontend. You would only store encrypted data in the access database. The .Net frontend would handle the encryption/decryption for presentation and storing.

HTH,
CT

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ahmad123098

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back