Paste Chart Image as new worksheet

gdesreu

I was hoping someone has an answer for this.

I have a chart that I want to copy and paste as an image on a new worksheet. The excerpt (bottom) works fine except that I want to paste it as a new worksheet NOT on top of a new worksheet. You can do this when moving a chart as new worksheet using
VBA Code:
ActiveChart.Location Where:=xlLocationAsNewSheet
but I'm a bit confused as to how to copy the chart as an image and then insert it as a new worksheet.

Any help (as always) is greatly appreciated.

Working Code that pastes as image onto new worksheet.
VBA Code:
    Selection.Copy
    Sheets("example").Select
    Range("B1").Select
    Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks _
        :=False, Transpose:=False

ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Chart 3").Activate
    ActiveChart.ChartArea.Copy
    Sheets.Add After:=ActiveSheet
    ActiveSheet.Pictures.Paste.Select

Okay, I have amended the code so that it pauses at certain times to allow the operation time to complete. Currently, when it pauses, it does so for 1 second, which should be enough time. However, if you still run into problems, you can always try pausing it for more seconds, such as 2 or 3 seconds. Here's the amended code, which includes an additional procedure called Pause.

VBA Code:
Option Explicit

Sub test()

ActiveSheet.ChartObjects("Chart 3").Chart.ChartArea.Copy

Pause 1 'second

Dim chartSheet As Chart
    Set chartSheet = ThisWorkbook.Charts.Add

Pause 1 'second

With chartSheet

Do While .SeriesCollection.Count > 0
            .SeriesCollection(1).Delete
        Loop

.Paste

Pause 1 'second

If .HasTitle Then
            .ChartTitle.Caption = .ChartTitle.Caption
        End If

With .SeriesCollection(1)
            .XValues = .XValues
        End With

Dim sr As Series
        For Each sr In .SeriesCollection
            sr.Name = "=""" & sr.Name & """"
            sr.Values = sr.Values
        Next sr

End With

End Sub

Sub Pause(ByVal secs As Long)

Dim endTime As Single
    endTime = Timer + secs

Do
        DoEvents
    Loop Until Timer > endTime

End Sub

Does this help?
Domenic, thanks again. I have tried the different timer settings and I am still getting the blank chart if I run it a second time. The interesting thing is, it works fine and does exactly as I want provided I don't change the data on chart3. If I change the data on chart3 it makes a blank chart. If I delete that blank chart and run it again it works. If I dont delete the blank chart the issue still occurs. Its very reproducible (and strange). It seems to blank it right after this:
VBA Code:
Do I need to refresh the chart or something if I revise the data in chart 3 before running it again?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
I'm also wondering if it has something to do with a textbox label I am using to add to the y series. I just realized that I have that pointed to a formula like I did with the Chart title. So if I change the data it may incorrectly change the previous charts. Sorry, I thought I had that as a value going in so I didnt mention it before.

Upvote 0
The interesting thing is, it works fine and does exactly as I want provided I don't change the data on chart3. If I change the data on chart3 it makes a blank chart.

I tried adjusting the range for the source data, and I also tried changing the range completely, but I have been unable to re-produce the behaviour you describe. I did some further testing by first setting the pause to 1 second, and then creating a loop so that the chart gets created 100 times. All of the charts were created without any problems.

It seems to blank it right after this:

That part of the code deletes any series that might already exist. The reason it's there is that the source data, if one exists, is automatically used when creating the chart. And, when the chart is created using the existing source data, it's created without any formatting or elements that might exist. And so we need to delete the existing series so that we can paste the chart with the existing formatting and elements.

I'm not sure that this will help, but I think it's worth trying. Let's try to activate the newly created chart before deleting, pasting, etc...

VBA Code:
    With chartSheet

.Activate

'etc
        '
        '

End With

Does this help?

Upvote 0
I tried adjusting the range for the source data, and I also tried changing the range completely, but I have been unable to re-produce the behaviour you describe. I did some further testing by first setting the pause to 1 second, and then creating a loop so that the chart gets created 100 times. All of the charts were created without any problems.

That part of the code deletes any series that might already exist. The reason it's there is that the source data, if one exists, is automatically used when creating the chart. And, when the chart is created using the existing source data, it's created without any formatting or elements that might exist. And so we need to delete the existing series so that we can paste the chart with the existing formatting and elements.

I'm not sure that this will help, but I think it's worth trying. Let's try to activate the newly created chart before deleting, pasting, etc...

VBA Code:
    With chartSheet

.Activate

'etc
        '
        '

End With

Does this help?
Hmm, I added the
VBA Code:
.activate
but it still exhibits the same behavior. Since you aren't having this problem I am going to re-create a file from scratch and see if goes away. Maybe I have some sort of corruption in the file of some sort. (I compiled but it still does it) I'm on office 365 but I have a couple older machines I could try it on as well to see if it works there. I'll do some legwork on this in the next couple of days and post the results. I just have that darn project work that they need done first. Again, thanks for the help. It is greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grantrob

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back