paste parses like data import wizard instead of just pasting

Gates Is Antichrist

After doing a Text to Columns operation it seems that everything you paste from outside gets the same parsing treatment. Thus when I paste external data into a single cell, Excel is rudely spreading it over several cells instead of just the one. Simple example: type a b c in notepad (note 2 embedded spaces) and copy the 5 characters and paste in cell A1. Do data/text/delimited and check "space" as delimiter, and finish. If I described it correctly, A1..C1 will contain 1 letter each.

Now go back to notepad, copy it, and paste to cell D4. Does it spread across 3 cells for you without asking, as I'm getting in XL03?

What I want is a way to turn off the automatic parsing, if anyone knows how. Restarting Excel is the best I've got so far.

(Did I say "rudely" before? Oh, I meant to say "courteously." I'm so grateful when Microsoft makes my decisions for me! After all, the world is nothing but cattle and level 1 support material :) "We don't care! We don't have to! We're the phone company! Snort!"

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
You can re-open Text to Columns and uncheck "Space" and hit cancel.
That will now allow normal copy/paste.

Upvote 0
Thank you John, and similar sentiments to above. As that workaround goes, it seems that you have to uncheck everything; if you uncheck space and leave semicolon on, it still parses semicolons.

It is interesting though that it saves your "unchecking" since changing "delimited" to "fixed width" and canceling achieved nothing.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purevega

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back