Pause macro without pausing Excel

langlang98

I am looking to do a macro that cycles through a chart updating it with a slight delay. The example is I have 5 customers and I want a chart to cycle through each customer displaying their sales on a chart for 3-5 seconds each. I want the chart to pause between the update but still allow the spreadsheet to be edited/scrollable. Below is the VB code that I can find but it actually pauses Excel completely. I am advanced in the front end of excel but relatively new to the macro/VB side. I usually can take what someone has as an example and apply it to what I need but all the recommendations for the "Application.Wait" examples does what I want with the chart but does not allow movement in the spreadsheet.

Sub chartloop()
Dim i As Integer
i = 0
Do Until (i = 5)
i = i + 1
Range("B10") = i
Application.wait Now() + TimeValue("00:00:03")
Loop
End Sub

While I am at it, you'll notice that the code only cycles through 5 times, I haven't looked yet but is there a way to reset the "i" to 0 after x number of cycles?

Thanks,
Jim L.

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
Sorry, you can't interact with Excel while a macro is running, even if it's paused. You could use the OnTime method to call a procedure after a pause.

Upvote 0
You can try this but scrolling will be jerky

Code:
Private Declare Sub Sleep Lib "kernel32" (ByVal dwMilliseconds As Long) ' must be at top of module

Sub chartloop()
Dim i As Integer
i = 0
Do Until i = 5
    i = i + 1
    Range("B10") = i
    Sleep 3000
    DoEvents
Loop
End Sub

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help guys. I think I am just going to rethink my strategy and go another route as it appears that I can't truly do what I was hoping to. But this is definitely good knowledge for some other things I want to try.
Thanks again!
Jim

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PressEscape

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back