Pause PowerPoint slideshow, refresh data then resume slideshow

rotomarty

Good Day, I have a few Excel sheets that run queries against data written to our SQL server and refreshes every 1, 5 and 20 minutes, depending on the sheet and data. I use these as live dashboards on a virtual machine that can be viewed on any company computer using TightVNC, and it works really slick on an individual basis. I am trying to find a way to run these sheets in a slideshow. I can link the individual tables, graphs, etc. to a PPP, and the link refreshes the view on the slides until I run the show at which point it freezes with that data until it is stopped and restarted. Everything I have read says that there isn't a way to refresh while running the show and I would have to pause, refresh and restart the show in order to have the data stay live. I have dabbled in VBA but am by no means proficient enough to write code to make that work, and am struggling to find the right tutorial to get me there. Alternately, I have read where a person could scroll through pages in an Excel workbook like in a slideshow using VBA but I can't get close to making that happen either.

Is there anyone that can help get me going in the right direction by pointing me to an article, lesson or other self-help method, or help with an example of how either of these ways might work? I appreciate any direction that someone can point me!

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
It is nowhere close to what you want, but I have made a few presentations directly form Excel. I use Ctrl-PgDown to switch the worksheets and it works pretty well. Of course there are no animations and other bells and whistles, but it does the job. As far as I remember, even a remote controller's button can be used to switch the worksheet.

J.Ty.

Upvote 0
Thanks J. Ty. - I have run many a 'slideshow' / presentation doing just what you said. I am looking for something that runs unattended, 24/7 and just refreshes from the db to deliver the latest and greatest. Take care

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catterz66

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back