payroll help

oldham94l

Board Regular
i've been given the task of creating a payroll system for 30+ stores,
each store can have from 30 to 70 staff which are constantly being removed and added to.
and then each week i will need to combine all the data from each store at our headoffice.
could you advise me on the best file system for this format?
and the best way to organise employee names and numbers?

thanks

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
I would have 31 sheets. 1 for each store and make the first sheet the head office.

Have a header row at the top.

Employee name ____ Staff no. ____ Position ___ etc

And keep this uniform for each sheet.
Easiest way is to get the layout onto 1 sheet then copy that sheet 30 or so times. Saves all that typing. The board will be able to advise on formulas or macros you may require to collate all the required info for the head office sheet.

Hope this gets you started.

This message was edited by George J on 2002-09-06 15:50

Upvote 0
I'm partial to Oracle though SQL Server costs quite a bit less and is very fast. If you want the rock bottom price, MySQL is an excellent choice though they don't support triggers or views. I would avoid Microsoft Access for this application because it lacks the robustness.

As an alternative, I would suggest using a service such as Paychex. They handle all the processing, you just phone in your employee hours and they prepare everything. The cost is very reasonable and they handle all the changes in the tax laws that occur every year.

This would be considered an advanced application. Normally companies hire consulting firms to design and implement software systems like this. I wouldn't attempt this without a thorough understanding of database issues and programming concepts. Experience also plays into the success of a software project. Companies like www.swingnote.com specialize in creating business solutions such as this and have years of experience.

Upvote 0
I agree msaccess cant handle large amounts of data. I am forever having to split the data to get it through access. Go with syabse, oracle , or mysql mysql is free gnu for linux or unix.

Upvote 0
Not only do I mean that Access lack the ability to handle large volumes of data, but it's error recovery is not very sophisticated. It uses open file handles across a network. A client machine crash can break the file system.

Conversely, if you pull the plug on a server running Oracle, it will come right back up to the last transaction if configured properly.

I use robustness in the sense that it's strong in every sense. When doing payroll for a medium sized business such as this, your data must be protected. Access or Excel lack the necessary safeguards to do this and were not intended for this sort of task.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bsb1122

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back