Pivot Table - Column Over Written There Must be a way to

Arts

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all

I had created a series of pivot tables and I had no idea the row section could be edited i/e over written. I can't seem to find a solution for the life of me to reset the data to it's original value, example below using simple data

we have the below pivot table

1667380395759.png

But someone had overwritten one of the row labels which I didn't think was possible, James Lobeon is now 568. I assumed I would get the message "We Can't change this part of the PviotTable"

1667380428831.png

But I cant seem to get it back to it's original value. I have tried refresh, refresh all and the value doesn't seem to change to its original state. I did find this quite strange as I assumed this would go back to the original source data once refreshed and remove the 568 as that value isn't in the original source data. I did find a way to clear the whole pivot table by going to "PivotTable Analyse", Clear> Clear All but this deletes all the information from the pivot table meaning you would have to rebuild it from scratch and if a large pivot table which in my case it is having to do this each time would be quite annoying.

As always any help on this is most appreciated.

Arts

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
Try grouping it with the element below then ungrouping it. No idea why that works.

Upvote 0
Try grouping it with the element below then ungrouping it. No idea why that works.
Hi Steve thanks for the quick response,

Not sure what you mean by that as in group the rows and then ungroup ?

Upvote 0
Yes. Highlight your rogue element and the one below. From your pics 568 and michael mordon, then right click group, right click ungroup.

Upvote 0
Yes. Highlight your rogue element and the one below. From your pics 568 and michael mordon, then right click group, right click ungroup.

For some reason that doesn't seem to work for me, tried a few times...

Upvote 0
All i can say is it works for me or rebuild the pivot. They are pretty quick.

Upvote 0
All i can say is it works for me or rebuild the pivot. They are pretty quick.

I've tried several times but to no avail.

Yeah agreed pivots don't take long but doing this multiple times ie every time it happens over something which would seem an easy fix would wear thin pretty quick.

Is this an excel bug ? Don't get why the refresh wouldn't fix this seeing as that value is not in the source data....

Appreciate the responses Steve

Should anyone else have a solution please do let me know.

Upvote 0
What i dont quite understand is why you keep changing the labels if you dont want them changed? Ok you realised you made a mistake and now cant get it back so rebuild the pivot and dont change it next time.

Upvote 0
What i dont quite understand is why you keep changing the labels if you dont want them changed? Ok you realised you made a mistake and now cant get it back so rebuild the pivot and dont change it next time.
You would be right if the assumption of me changing it was true, wasn't me that changed it....

Its a file on a server which is shared, someone must have gone into it and accidently changed it. The pivot table has a bunch of slicers which they can use. I went into the file this morning and found the change with a "z" next to it. Assuming the person realised they made the error (fat finger or what ever) tried to control z to undo that didn't work either. Can see this happening again.

I did try to protect the sheet but this locks the slicers....

Upvote 0
Ah ok well you change change that. When protecting sheet allow Use Pivot Table and Edit Objects

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kfhw720

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back