Pivot Table of a Teacher's Gradebook

psdbenj

I'm trying to make a pivot table that summarizes a teachers grade book of letter grades. Each column of the gradebook contains a different assignment. So far, I have to make a pivot table for each assignment. Dragging more than 1 assignment title into the row or column fields area of the pivot table makes it confusing to read. The only solution I can come up with is making a really long spreadsheet and displaying each assignment below the previous assignment. What am I missing. Surely, there must be a way to summarize a teachers gradebook of letter grades with a pivot table.
Thanks,
Ben

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
Hello Sal,
I did not link from my harddrive. I linked to the URL of the image that I uploaded to Google sites. The forum replaced that URL with a reference to the web server's C drive. By the way, it works on all the other computers that I've tried it on, so I know it isn't referring to the harddrive of the computer that I uploaded it from. Never the less, thanks for your input and I'll provide Fazza with a verbal description of the spreadsheet in question.
Thanks,
Ben

As he/she is linking from his/her hard disk, nobody can see said images save possibly for him/her. I second using one of the HTML makers.

(yay for gender ambiguity)

Upvote 0
Okay, here it goes: Row 1: StudentID | Assignment 1|Assignment2|Assignment 3|

Rows 2 through 30 are the studentsID and letter grades.

-Much appreciated, Ben

I don't see the image, Ben, just a place holder and then

I don't know why I don't see the image - could be security setttings where I am; maybe others see it OK.

There is a sticky thread at the top of each page that has info on posting HTML to show worksheet info. Maybe you can try that?

Or otherwise explain in words if it is as simple as it should be. Such as the first row has headers and they are exactly "teacher", "student", "assignment1", "assignment2", "assignment3", etc and the data is immediately underneath. That is, data from cell A2. "teacher" and "student" are text entries and then there are grade entries in the other cells.

F

Upvote 0
Ben,

There is something I don't understand.

I failed to appreciate until now that the grades are letter grades. AFAIK, these won't go into the pivot table and show as letter grades, only as counts of letter grades or something similar. (They can go into a cross tab query though.) So, I'm wondering how you got the initial pivot table working OK.

Can you please post some more information? Such as some sample data and further description of the pivot table created.

Regards, Fazza

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Omer Lutfu Neziroglu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back