pivot table question

Mike1

A co-worker of mine set up a pivot table using data saved on an external data source on a shared drive. I would like to create a similar pivot table myself, linked to his pivot table so when he gets updated data, my pivot table also will update accordingly. My question has to do with the pivot table data source. How do I copy the connection? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Mike

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
Hi Mike,

Do you want to link directly to the same source as your co-worker, or link to your co-worker's workbook?

The former will give you more up-to-date data then your co-worker if s/he hasn't refreshed the connection which may or may not be what you want.

What type of data source is your External Data Source (an Excel file or something else)?

Upvote 0
Linking directly to their data source probably makes the most sense. As far as what kind of file is it... is the best way to find that out by hitting change data source, then right click on the connection, then look at the connection file? If so, it is a file located on his "my documents file" and has a .odc ending.

Thanks for any help!

Upvote 0
Mike,

You can copy the Office Data Connection (.odc) file from his MyDocuments to a location on your computer.
Then add a connection on your computer. For Excel 2007 and 2010 the steps would be:

With your workbook open, from the Ribbon > Data > Connections > Add....> Browse for More > (select the .odc file) > Close

Now that the Data Connection is setup in your Workbook, you can use it as a PivotTable data source.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snoom82

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back