Pivot Tables with relationships

Charles23

I would like to ask about a problem concerning the usage of pivot tables with defined ralationships between tables (I use Excel 2010 with PowerPivot) . I’ve got a classical figure of relationship one to many. Table1 with static dimensions of an object and table2 with dynamic structure for events (classified) that occur with the object. Every object got id that goes with every event. Classic. To look at the object and events in Access I would make a structure of form for object proprieties and a dynamic subform for events. I tried very hard to get something similar in my PT like this e.g.:

Object 1: Title1, Owner1, (from Table1)
>Date of event1/class of event1:A (from Table2)
>Date of event2/ class od event2:B
>Date of event3/class of event2:C
Object2: Title2, Owner2,
>Date of event4/class of event3:A
>Date of event5/ class od event4:D
Object3: Title3, Owner3,
>Date of event6/class of event6:A
>Date of event7/ class od event7:C
>Date of event8/class of event8:D
>Date of even9/class of event9:E
And so on.
I can’t get this result in PT - the PT put every event under every object Ofcourse the above pattern is not important – I just want to combine the object proprieties with the events. Is it possible to get this efect in PT like form and subform? The PT enables me only to get measures e.g. number of events for every object, so the relations somehow works. Thanks for help and any suggestions.

Charles

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
What you are asking certainly feels ... normal :)

In general, Excel is going to filter out any row for which EVERY column returns blank. Do you have a measure that isn't returning blank?

Upvote 0
What you are asking certainly feels ... normal :)

In general, Excel is going to filter out any row for which EVERY column returns blank. Do you have a measure that isn't returning blank?

Thanks for your reply.
There are no blank data - every object has at least one event, so there are no blank measures. I must add that I don't want to get any measures with the PT but only link every project with its events - why it doesnt work? If I put the events grouped by the PT under their id (based on only on table2) it works. But if I try to add the title (from the tabel1) before the id it doesn't join the data.

Thanks
Ch23

Upvote 0
if you have NO measures, then Excel decides not to filter out any rows. Maybe... add something in the values portion, then hide that column?

Upvote 0
That was a good idea - I've added one measure and the PT has joined the objects and events. Many thanks for your quick response and simple solution.

Ch23

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maxkapoor

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back